Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old 2 Days Ago   #31
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Here's my new tunnel

5/9:

5-9-18 pano.JPG

5/26:

5-26-18 pano.JPG

5-26-18.jpg
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #32
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Oh my! That is absolutely fabulous! Looks like a biology cathedral!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #33
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Salsa.
I need to get a current shot tonight. The cukes are up to the trusses now. That last shot is already 2 weeks old.
I have seedless water melons now too in the forefront that you cant see in those pics. Thats why so much space is blank to allow for the vines. Not the best use of the tunnel real estate, but I have everything else I wanted in there for this year. I am using this tunnel for personal food production, enjoyment, and experimenting.
I have already given away 30 cukes, and about 10 lbs of lettuce. I will have about 175 onions ready soon. I will be giving them away to anyone I see. Tomatoes should start breaking from green any minute now. I will probably have 20-30 lbs to give away off the first pick.
I have spent so many years learning and trying, and trying to grow to sell, that I lost sight of why it is was fun. And I was producing nothing for me and my family/friends/co-workers. So I decided to not use this tunnel for commercial tomato production like I intended when I signed up for the NRCS grant in 2016.
Still trying to find a crop to supplement my off-farm income, hence the cutflower trial this year. But I'm at the point where it has to come second to actually enjoying growing and having what I have going on across the span of the operation.
It has been really satisfying so far. I did my first tomato cross ever in here and hope to grow the F1 seeds out for a fall harvest to see how it tastes...

Last edited by PureHarvest; 2 Days Ago at 03:08 PM.
Old 1 Day Ago   #34
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I didn't see his garden. I was at a market. it was his word. he seemed very enthusiastic and sincere. his radishes tops had plenty of holes and I asked if he ever used floating row cover to keep them off and he said he was doing this debt free and hadn't bought any yet... that said... he was convincing that it worked. he does the back to eden method for his growing.
Old 9 Hours Ago   #35
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Well, sunflowers are starting to show color.

IMG_1283.JPG

Dahlias are really growing, but it has been great (ugh) weather for the powdery mildew to thrive. Still not looking like a crisis, but I am now worried enough that I need to spray. Just not sure what I want to use.

I talked with a florist Monday that has 4 locations and does some wholesale. She has a grower that she's used for 15 years for sunflowers. But he only hits the 3 summer months. She buys 200 stems per week. I'm thinking I could use my tunnels and get her business in the shoulder seasons.
More importantly, she is interested in my dahlias. She said the sunflower guy does them too, but not as many colors as I am growing.
She was supposed to call me back with numbers, as she was kind enough to say she would tell me what she paid him and quantities.