Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old December 31, 2009   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default Questions about "Sunray."

As some of folks on the MAGTAG forum know, last season I concentrated on growing varieties that orignated in the Mid-Atlantic area of the U.S., especially those from my home state of Maryland.

"Sunray" was one of these varieties, because according to Victory Seeds, it is "a stabilized cross between 'Pan American' and 'Jubilee', developed by Dr. W. S. Porte at the Beltsville, Maryland Station and released in 1950."

But I've also also seen "Sunray" and "Golden Sunray" listed as part of Ben Quisenberry's collection. If this is so, I'm assuming he bought the original seed when it was readily available, saved it, and distributed it after it was lost to commerce.

Anybody have any more info? (Carolyn? Craig?)

BTW, I think my "Sunray" was a cross, because it was much redder than it should have been. It tasted pretty good, but so do lots of other varieties. Of course, if my plant was from crossed seed, than it probably wasn't really "Sunray" anyhow. So I might give it another chance next year.
Cecilia_MD7a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2009   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes, I think Sunray described by/offered by Ben is the same as the Sunray that is essentially an improved Jubilee (the cross bred some disease tolerance into it). So would be a medium sized orange tomato.