Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old January 22, 2014   #16
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Scott what is the goals of the church. A fund raiser, to supply access to fruits and vegetables, to supply a vending space for local farmers. Different goals can lead to different ways of going about it.

Besides being clear as to your goals, you also need to e clear about your resources and even more important about where are your customers are going to come from and what competition you have.

The biggest one local is the Region market in Syracuse. It's on city owned property, is run by an authority the same way sewer, water, and garbage are handled and thus is complex. It has permanent business, a whole row of wholesale produce warehouse plus the Saturday farmers markets that in the summer consists of five large buildings plus two out side vending areas, There is everything from farmers to wholesalers selling retail, to non produce vendors. They have a ranking system, but I'd have to read through the literature to know what it is.

I know you aren't talking about something that big, but is Atlanta has something like that you have to take into consideration how it impacts every other market around.

The other extreme was in local Village. They have or had a deal where you could set up in the park to vend stuff including produce. I don't think it cost anything. You had to sign up and provide a sales tax numer if you where vending stuff that requried tax to be collected but the three weeks I help a friend vend there no one actually came around to check that you where supposed to be there or not. There was some power there for anyone who could climb a 10 foot light pole.

I think if your church is doing this as a fund raiser you need to consider selling hot food during it.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #17
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Along the lines of making it producer-only, you want to head off what I call the "flea market effect." If you don't have a clear policy about arts and crafts, and Chinese-made trinkets, then vendors like that will fill your spaces and you'll have a flea market instead of a farmer's market. The market I go to will get 5-10 craft vendor applications for every farmer application.

The best way to have control over the vendors is to choose carefully who you let in. Most smaller markets will only let in one vendor per specialized product like farm eggs. That keeps the vendors you do have happy.

Regarding pricing, a farmer's market may not fix prices, period. You can suggest a minimum price, but you can't make a vendor have a particular price, at least in the eyes of the law.
Hello Cole
I agree with you and I feel all Women famers must be considered at all Farmer Markets.

On another Forum I was the leader in getting my town a Farmer Market: I when under the name of AKA Mrs Justice from Hampton Virginia: Not as Farmer, Joyce Beggs. My Town developed a nice Farmers Market and I was invited under Joyce Beggs Know as the Tomato Lady here the first year, but never again did I attend.

Women Farmers need protections and the Opportunities as other Farmers. I feel that Woman Farmers and the Amish People need extra protections.
During my search for historical fruits and vegetables, my husband took me to visit many States and Groups of people over the years.

I did promised some people in the Amish Communities that I would bring some attention to preserving their way of life: But I have not been able to help them. By talking to the Farmer in Hawaii, I was able to get the word out to as many people as possible to support their Bill in Congress which made them a Nation Indian Tribe finally. I was exciting to see them March for their American Rights In Hawaii years ago.
But, I cannot help myself and protect farming right's for women farmers like me. Our working is very hard labors of love for our plants and farms and do need fairness. So I pray that all Farmer Markets across the U. S. Invite Women Farmers in and protect them as businesswomen.
If women love to farm than God gave that comfort to us as young children who dreams of farming as children. We all love those 4-H classes as children, and deserve to have a career in farming if we wish. So this year in 2014 I pray that society let more women farmer into all areas of farming, to include all Farmers Markets.

My Historical Vegetables and Heirloom Tomatoes was a hit with our first Farmer Market here years ago, especially with Native American and Mexican Americans who identified their Native fruits and vegetables I grow. My Vegetables were truly the talk of the Town. I even learned from the local Native Americans how to make medicine from our Heirloom Historical Muscadine Vine brought here to this property by the Contraband Slaves in 1880's. My husband and I learn that the Contraband use this grape vine to made medicine by the Native Americans. So we thought we had to learn how to make wine to use it as medicine.
So a Native American I met at our Famer Market told me how to make medicine from my Muscadine Grape Vine. You do not have to learn to make wine at all. So I learned a very good lesson that one time I was there.
I didn't think there would be serious competition among other farmers. Many of my true customers were becoming concern that the farmers were saying bad things about us. So we invited them to tour our farm to see all historical vegetable growing on our many lots that correct together. I think Woman Farmers are so out numbered and mistreated of fundamental fairness in the market place.
The Good News is: Many are just learning how I am preserving our food history after the Civil War when General Benjamin Franklin Butler gave the Forgotten Contraband Slaves their new found freedom after the Civil War all while trying to save the only home built by One of the Contraband Slaves which survived every hurricane since October 23, 1879 on my property and surrounding lots were we farm on showing and preserving their professional farming capabilities the Native Americans taught the Contraband Slaves to farmed so closed to the Chesapeake Bay after.
Maybe one day I will return to our Farmer Market with people better understanding my passion to preserving our Food history.

I have started a neighborhood love program and people are realizing that I am truly a Farmer who loves what I do. I guess everyone must visit the farmers first before someone try to ruin their reputation to keep them out of the market for control over an area or personal gain.
Farmer Joyce Beggs
I suffer from Dyslexia so I hope you can understand me.

MrsJustice

Last edited by MrsJustice; January 22, 2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I was in 4-H, too. So were my mom, uncles, and grandparents.

Minimum prices for a farmer's market is one of the many areas of the law that run against a lot of peoples' sense of fairness. Most people would not see any harm in it, and I think I'm probably one of those people. But unfortunately, the law considers it to be an illegal restraint on free trade and commerce. It would be like if you and I owned the only two gas stations in a small town, and we agreed to both keep our prices above market value so that we would both make more money.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #19
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If I got even a whiff of price fixing at a farmer's market not only would I never go there again, I wouldn't buy from any vendor that I could determine was involved anywhere else.

One of the things I look for at a farmers market are deals. This fall I bought 37 lbs of spinach that would of been dumpster bound soon if I hadn't bought it. Yes I lost some of it before I got it canned.

I've mentioned the regional market in an earlier post. My method of buying stuff is to start at building number one and work my way to the end without buying anything. By the time I get to the end I have a good feel for what is available and what the going price is. The end vendors are the small on again off again vendors and their prices tend to be all over the place. I then work my way back buying some things at fair retail, but I'll also make deals on stuff that has become a problem child for someone. The grower that brought way too much, the remains that are small, misshapen or otherwise will be hard to sell at retail. I get a good buy and the grower gets something for their wares that would just end up in the waste stream.
Old January 22, 2014   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
If I got even a whiff of price fixing at a farmer's market not only would I never go there again, I wouldn't buy from any vendor that I could determine was involved anywhere else.

One of the things I look for at a farmers market are deals. This fall I bought 37 lbs of spinach that would of been dumpster bound soon if I hadn't bought it. Yes I lost some of it before I got it canned.

I've mentioned the regional market in an earlier post. My method of buying stuff is to start at building number one and work my way to the end without buying anything. By the time I get to the end I have a good feel for what is available and what the going price is. The end vendors are the small on again off again vendors and their prices tend to be all over the place. I then work my way back buying some things at fair retail, but I'll also make deals on stuff that has become a problem child for someone. The grower that brought way too much, the remains that are small, misshapen or otherwise will be hard to sell at retail. I get a good buy and the grower gets something for their wares that would just end up in the waste stream.
I agree.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014   #21
joseph
Tomatovillian™

At my farmer's market ladies grow the vegetables and operate approximately 1/2 of the stalls. Families (with or without kids) run most of the other farms and stalls. Men only farmers/stalls represent only about 1/10th of my market.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014   #22
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
At my farmer's market ladies grow the vegetables and operate approximately 1/2 of the stalls. Families (with or without kids) run most of the other farms and stalls. Men only farmers/stalls represent only about 1/10th of my market.
I am glad that your farmers market includes Women Farmers. Yes: behind every successful Male Farmer is a dedicated wife that takes care of the "Market Place and the needed prep-work for displaying the produce.
Old January 23, 2014   #23
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post

I think inviting 75% of any Farmer Market with small Men & Women Farmers" will off set any pricing wars, because they will lean to work together by investing in each other success like the Amish Communities & Hawaiian Farmers. After meeting farmers across the United States, these are the only communities that actively share in each other success, even working side by with the same products or produce. Having Local Farmers "only" might bring back that old fashion community love that the Amish and Hawaiians Farmers still live by in today world. Especially having local farmers who are not under pressure to cover their traveling expenses and labor cost. The biggest problem I see with the "pricing wars" is just proper communication and caring for each other. Commercial Farmers are having a hard time with growing historical produce because of the lobar involved. Focusing on the Small Farmer is the only way to get more historical fruit and vegetables to the market place to avoid the high labor cost. If farming is your passion than you will be among your plants all day, cutting down on the labor it take's to care for them properly.
Old January 23, 2014   #24
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Minimum prices for a farmer's market is one of the many areas of the law that run against a lot of peoples' sense of fairness. Most people would not see any harm in it, and I think I'm probably one of those people. But unfortunately, the law considers it to be an illegal restraint on free trade and commerce. It would be like if you and I owned the only two gas stations in a small town, and we agreed to both keep our prices above market value so that we would both make more money.
There need to be more 4-H programs for children before the next generations have all their fresh food imported to the United States. I believe farmers are the salt of the earth. We need all that farming talent protected for the future.

My children did not have the 4-H program in school. What ever happen to that program? We have no future farmers in my family that will take over the farm.
Old January 23, 2014   #25
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Doug9345 wrote : One of the things I look for at a farmers market are deals
Obviously price has to be taken into account. Fortunately Doug added it was only one thing he was looking for. Personally I’m ready to pay a bit more if the product is quite fresh, if the seller looks interested in his job and is eager to explain he works without (too much) chemistry etc.One can too consider being faithful to a grower who usually brings top products but one day is a bit substandard. It's a form of solidarity, nobody can be perfect everyday. People who work hard and enjoy it surely deserve a bonus !
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014   #26
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

The Madison farmers market where I sell is one of if not the biggest "producer only" market in the country. We often have over 150 vendors on a summer Saturday. http://dcfm.org/

That market has quite a few vendors that are woman owned or managed. It also has more than a few minority vendors.

As far as pricing there, it's kind of a 2 tier thing. Those farmers that are "certified organic" and post that at their stands tend to charge premium even if their stuff isn't always worth it (in my opinion). The rest of us can be a bit all over the place on price. Also because most vendors here are long time regulars, customers get to know which vendors use chemicals and who uses very little if any but isn't "certified". But unless what you have is really junk, if you don't stay in a ballpark range with your price, the customers will think something IS wrong with it and pass you by.

For example -- one weekend, about 15+ years ago, I had way too much lettuce come on all at the same time. Bunches of leaf, Bostons, lots of fancy stuff. I had something like 300 - 500 heads. More than twice what I wanted but it had to be cut or it would have bolted. The going price at that time was about 75 cents / head or bunch. Because I needed to move a lot, I was willing to give a bargain at 3/$1. I couldn't sell hardly anything. People thought it was bad I guess. After sitting there for more than 2 hours, I finally re-priced it at 50 cents each and it sold quite well.

Personally I'm not organic, but we use very little of anything that isn't organic approved. But I price what I think is fair for me and fair for the customer. I don't think some of the prices the organic people charge is warranted. I don't have any less hand labor than they do so what are they charging for ?? JMO.

Another of my opinions is to stay away from a mixed market, meaning crafts and rummage. Including that stuff makes it a "bargain" market where the customers ONLY look at the price and hardly ever judge the quality of the product. But if you can handle the local regulations, include meats, cheeses and bakeries. Not all markets want to get involved with the licenses that "processed" stuff need. But only on a "family" small business scale. They need outlets too. No big chain type companies. It gives customers more to find, especially at the beginning and end of the seasons when farm stuff may be skimpy.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2014   #27
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Folks, as always, you are incredibly generous with your time in giving me this feedback and links. I am 1000% more informed now than I was three days ago. What a resource you are! Just in time for the fundraising meeting this evening in front of a big fireplace here in Atlanta.

As a market economist, I think I will not intervene at all in prices, as they are a mutual and free contract between seller and buyer. However, the prices seem to me to be pretty good in Atlanta inner city - $4-$5 pound for heirloom tomatoes, for example.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2014   #28
loulac
Tomatovillian™

ScottinAtlanta may find some useful information in the following thread :
Growing for Market > Farmer's Market Member Dues http://<a href="http://www.tomatovil...e=2</a> <br />

The post page 2 by Worth is quite informative

loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2014   #29
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I do realty see your point. I guess my Prices are low because my labor is low. This conversation made's me realized that even if I keep my prices low: I cannot let someone talk me down and than "Say" I will take all of them. If a chart were development as fair market price, than farmers can go from than chart to develop a price for their 1st 2nd quality of their produce for Hybrids Or Heirloom Fruits and Vegetables.
Old January 25, 2014   #30
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
I do realty see your point. I guess my Prices are low because my labor is low. This conversation made's me realized that even if I keep my prices low: I cannot let someone talk me down and than "Say" I will take all of them. If a chart were development as fair market price, than farmers can go from than chart to develop a price for their 1st 2nd quality of their produce for Hybrids Or Heirloom Fruits and Vegetables.
There's always been volume discounts on most everything under the sun. Sometimes it's not much, but it is there.

As far as a chart I'd hate to be a market with my name on it. The first vendor that gets dropped for any reason is going to claim it's because he or she didn't follow "the list." Even if you don't draw legal trouble, the minimum being a cease and desist letter from the Attorney General's office, the DA or who ever has jurisdiction, the negative publicity would kill them.

If someone is doing it in the form this is the minimum, maximun average that let's say onions are selling at this market then that is done all the time. In rural areas there is always some radio station that has a far report. Part of that report is the prices of what animals and field crops are bringing.