Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old July 27, 2007   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default 2007 CHOPTAG Taste Fest--New Thread

Jerry may not be available as I heard he and Deborah may be over in Europe [sometime] during July.

So, CHOPTAGers! let's get to talking about the Taste Fest as we only have 22 Days until kickoff. Here's Jerry's original post:

The 2007 CHOPTAG Taste Fest will be held on Saturday, August 18, 2007. It will be held at Paxton-Ramsey Park on the East side of Cincinnati, Ohio from 12 noon until 5pm.

http://www.miamitwp.org/recreation/parks/paxton/paxton.htm

This is the same site as last year and the same site where we are holding our Plant Swap on May 6th of his year. http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3818

Everyone is welcome to join us. This is a family affair, so bring the kids, the parents, the grandparents and anyone else that likes tomatoes. :wink:

While it is our intention for everyone to share their tomato harvest, it’s OK if you don’t have any tomatoes to bring :sad: . You are still welcome. Most folks bring some type of food other than tomatoes to share also, but that is not a requirement either.

Our only real requirement is you have of love of tomatoes and want to share some fun with other tomato lovers. So mark your calendars and plan to join us for a great afternoon.

Check out the CHOPTAG web site for some pictures of past events.

http://www.ih.k12.oh.us/estech/mark/garden/choptag.htm
Old July 27, 2007   #2
tomatoaddict

I'll be there for sure....
Can't wait. Is Gary from Louisville coming?
Old July 27, 2007   #3
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default 2007 CHOPTAG Taste Fest

Count me in --- I do plan to be there. I don't know what I will have to bring at that time but will have a few varieties I hope.
Gary
Old July 30, 2007   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Well Earl’s right. Deborah and I were in Europe. Italy to be exact. We got back last week and I’ve been trying to get caught up ever since.

The gardens were/are a mess and the tomatoes are particularly depressing. I talked myself out of putting up my fencing this year and I’m paying the price. The deer have eaten the tops off most of the plants around the perimeter and the raccoons, rabbits, opossums and squirrels have been having a feast on the nearly ripe fruit. I spent most of this past weekend constructing a make shift fence in hopes of salvaging something from this year’s effort only to find more fruit on the ground this morning. It might be time to hire Elmer Fudd to sit in the garden with his shotgun.

If things don’t improve I will be bringing precious little in the way of tomatoes to the Taste Fest. Can I bring peppers instead? Maybe an eggplant or two? The varmints seem to leaving those alone so far. Don’t worry Tom-Ato (Ken) we’ll still bring brownies.

I did smuggle a few tomato seeds home in my suitcase. I scooped up what appeared to be some San Marzano seeds from my dinner plate one night while in Florence. Then we went to a COOP Market in Sienna (like a Sam’s Club or Costo with a full grocery). We asked a few folks if we needed to be a member and they said ‘yes’ but we didn’t let that stop us. I found some nice tomatoes down the produce isle. Picked out a ‘Rossi Nostr’ and a ‘Canestrino’ and headed for the register. Found out I was supposed to weigh them before I got there. I shrugged my shoulders. The cashier just stared at us with a disgusted look and headed off to the scales. When he came back he said something in Italian (I think he was asking for our membership card). I just said ‘no capire’. He kind of grunted and said ‘one Euro’. I handed him a 1 Euro coin, said ‘Grazie’ and headed for the exit. I think he was muttering ‘stupid Americans’ as we walked out the door. So, I’ll plant a couple of seeds of each next year and see what I get.

Even if my offerings are a bit less than usual I’m still looking forward to seeing everyone, tasting great tomatoes (we can always count on Earl for a great selection) and sampling fine food.

See ya’ll on the 18th.
Old July 30, 2007   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Jerry, great to hear from you! Glad you guys got over there and back safely. Hope you had a wonderful time.

Sorry to hear the animules dined in high style while you were gone. I wonder if Tom was over helping them consume the goodies. :-) My middle name is 'Elmer Fudd.' :-)

You know that if we all showed up without any tomatoes we'd still have a great time! I'll lend you a few types if I need to, but I'll bet your recover by the 18th. Looking forward to hearing you spin a few yarns about your trip.
Old July 30, 2007   #6
Tom_Ato
Tomatovillian™

Great story Jerry. Did you go on a tour? Seems like I grew some Canestrino tomatoes a few years ago or something like that. I don't have a spreadsheet like Craig L. showing all my tomatoes every year, but I may have it scribbled down somewhere. You should have taken me with you to Italy; I'd've told that guy you were a world famous tomato afficionado and he'd've invited you and Deborah to his villa to discuss all kinds of pomodori.

And it's never to late to electrify that fence. See at least you HAVE ripe fruit. Mr. Late here, who missed the plant swap, also didn't get plants out till the end of May. I've been eating sungolds. That's it. Nothing even ripening. But we've been eating zucchini every night and cukes and such so it still feels like summer.

Ken, eater of brownies
Old July 31, 2007   #7
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

That’s the worst part about the fence I put up, it is electric.
Old August 4, 2007   #8
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Y'all,

We've got company coming in from Wisconsin that particular weekend, but I think they'll be leaving on Sunday afternoon. I will mostly likely be there, but my family might not get to join me...

I've had a nice selection of ripe tomatoes. Hopefully, that will continue to be the case by the 18th! I am looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Lisa
Old August 8, 2007   #9
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

OK folks. Where is everyone? I know it’s hot out and I know the Taste Fest is still 10 days away but I would have thought we’d have a little more activity in this thread.

Miss Mudcat – Bring ‘em along!!! What better way to show out-of-towners a good time?

So come on people, tell us if you’re coming. You don’t have to commit to what you’re bringing. Just let us know you’re still alive and you still like tomatoes.
Old August 8, 2007   #10
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Jerry:
We plan to be there, even in the heat.
Should have a few for tasting.
Dave and Char
Old August 8, 2007   #11
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default 2007 CHOPTAG Taste Fest

Our friend and neighbor, Cathy, and I plan to be there. I don't know if Larry plans to join us or not.

In late May, I received a phone call from a lady who belongs to the Frankfort Kentucky Garden Club. She was searching for someone to speak at an August meeting on Heirloom Tomatoes; I commited myself. This Friday August 10 is their meeting and we plan to have some tomatoes for tasting as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of having enough varieties to share. My contact person came the day of the Thieneman Nursery Heirloom Tomato Sale in May and I was able to meet her; she will be bringing some of the tomatoes she is growing. Summer meetings usually have fifty plus members in attendance. I am looking forward to talking about my favorite topic -- Heirloom Tomatoes. I will be spreading the word that CHOPTAG is meeting next week.
Gary
Old August 9, 2007   #12
Thomas
Tomatovillian™

I am coming. I had an unfornuate chain of events that kept me from the plant swap...but I am not missing the Taste Fest! I should have a nice little variety to bring..anyone like pasta salad..my wife makes some of the best. By the way WHO DEY!!! first preseaon game tonight!
Old August 9, 2007   #13
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. I've had a problem with leaf disease in part of my patch so my offering may be limited. Hard to believe the fest is only 9 days away.

I'll be bringing hardneck garlic bulbils to share, so it you want to start your own garlic patch remember to check with me. Kathy will bring pimento cheese and I'll bring some fresh bread as a palate cleanser.

Thomas, we all like pasta salad!
Old August 9, 2007   #14
tomatoaddict

I should have a ton of stuff. My garden is in full swing and with 50 plants, I might have to leave my husband at home just so I have room.
Old August 10, 2007   #15
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi all,
Can't believe it will be next week already. Gary and I got a room in Covington. Since neither of us has been in your area before, we are going to make a mini vacation out of it staying until Wed. VGary was kind enough to send links to places we should go. He also said we must have some Skyline Chili. If anyone else has any suggestions for food or places to see please PM me!
My Gary will be bringing Salen's Hot Dogs, a local famous brand, for everyone to sample. It will definitely give him something to do(grilling) and hopefully keep him out of trouble
I've had some tomatoes ripen in the past few days, so I may not have a lot, but I'm sure some will be good to pick Friday.
It will be fun finally meet so many people that I've traded with!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop