Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 16, 2018   #136
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
AKmark, as usually nice setup. Picture perfect setup.

I am so impressed with your results. That picture (I am assuming it is your son) of the hand next to the bucket tells more than words can. Your containers are so small for what I always considered the right size for a tomato plant. Amazing. I see it and still can not believe what I see.

I agree with you on Brandywines, Brandywine Sudduth to me tastiest of all. The fruits are beautiful as well. We pick at the end of the season all greenies and let them ripen inside. Brandywine Sudduth has an excellent shelf life.

One very nice lady was very kind and shared with me seeds of Mat-Su Express. They germinated couple of days ago. Thanks for creating it and sharing with TVlians.

Best of luck with all that you do.
Thanks. I think you will like Mat-Su, I am still segregating it for earliness and taste though. There are still still some subtle differences in earliness and taste.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #137
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Thanks. I think you will like Mat-Su, I am still segregating it for earliness and taste though. There are still still some subtle differences in earliness and taste.

Hi mark. I am growing matsu express. I have 12 plants that look great and are ripening tomatoes at the 60 day DTM TIMEFRAME. But they are only about 2 ounces in size. Very small and mis- shapened. Will they get larger later in the season? I use TTF weekly on them and am growing them on a trellis using lower and lean. I am in nc and planted them out april 17th in ground. I spray with daconil alternating with copper every 7 days.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #138
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
Hi mark. I am growing matsu express. I have 12 plants that look great and are ripening tomatoes at the 60 day DTM TIMEFRAME. But they are only about 2 ounces in size. Very small and mis- shapened. Will they get larger later in the season? I use TTF weekly on them and am growing them on a trellis using lower and lean. I am in nc and planted them out april 17th in ground. I spray with daconil alternating with copper every 7 days.
I don't know where your seeds come from? Mine average about 6-8 ounces, and run up to a pound or so. The DTM seems to be around 60 days for many. Two ounces is very small, I think Bloody Butcher is bigger than that.

Good luck, keep us informed.
Old June 17, 2018   #139
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Mine averaged 4-6 oz, hotter here.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #140
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't know where your seeds come from? Mine average about 6-8 ounces, and run up to a pound or so. The DTM seems to be around 60 days for many. Two ounces is very small, I think Bloody Butcher is bigger than that.

Good luck, keep us informed.
My seeds came fom Marsha. The plants look terrific. Large and healthy but my fruit is really small. I am wondering if TTF may not be what i should be using. I also use some slow release fertillizer early in the season at set out ( scotts ).
I am hoping that the size increases as the season progresses. We have been having very hot dry weather and i have been having to water them often.
Old June 17, 2018   #141
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
My seeds came fom Marsha. The plants look terrific. Large and healthy but my fruit is really small. I am wondering if TTF may not be what i should be using. I also use some slow release fertillizer early in the season at set out ( scotts ).
I am hoping that the size increases as the season progresses. We have been having very hot dry weather and i have been having to water them often.
The heat may have an impact on size, but I cannot be certain. I also feed mine well, that may help too. Try pruning them, and picking off all but 5-6 tomatoes per truss would help too.

I am going to send someone a bunch of seed to distribute this fall, they will be F9 seed which has been carefully selected out of many plants.

Take care, and good luck.
Old June 17, 2018   #142
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The heat may have an impact on size, but I cannot be certain. I also feed mine well, that may help too. Try pruning them, and picking off all but 5-6 tomatoes per truss would help too.

I am going to send someone a bunch of seed to distribute this fall, they will be F9 seed which has been carefully selected out of many plants.

They are pruned to single stem and are growing on a string which i can lower and lean. I have not picked off flowers on the trusses however. I will try that . Thanks.
Old June 18, 2018   #143
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I noticed it tends to set too many, on the first truss especially. Not sure how big they will get here, as they're still growing, but it seems the first ones will not be more than 4 oz.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #144
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Mark, I can distribute some for you in my January seed offer too, if you so desire.
Old June 18, 2018   #145
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Mark - Aside from water + feeding, any issues with rootspace.

I have my regulars singles in 15G and I also doubled up *per you post/observations* as well in my 15. Just looking at the singles in the 15G (in which the rootmass is literally ontop of the medium and also poking through the bottom of the fabric pot). I can only imagine how dense the root is in the plant medium on the ~doubled up~
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #146
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
Mark - Aside from water + feeding, any issues with rootspace.

I have my regulars singles in 15G and I also doubled up *per you post/observations* as well in my 15. Just looking at the singles in the 15G (in which the rootmass is literally ontop of the medium and also poking through the bottom of the fabric pot). I can only imagine how dense the root is in the plant medium on the ~doubled up~
It does not matter as long as you feed them what they need. The whole container is a big root ball. I have a friend up the road who grows in a two gallon size cube of Rockwool, his end up nothing but roots. He is a very good tomato grower and he produces a bunch. I have many plants in three gallon, two vines also. They are just slightly behind the 5 gallon in yield.

Here is my take. If you prune, 4-5 gallon is perfect, overhead costs is far below return. If you do not prune, one may want to use 10 gallon or bigger. Costs/ overhead goes up, yields do not.

Some people simply refuse to prune, that is on them, but I want tomatoes not leaves and stems everywhere. The correct amount of leaves a plant needs to produce sugars, etc is well noted.

I have tried every possible way to grow that I have seen in side by side experiments, and it involved many plants. I could really get a good gauge on the examples, the way forward was obvious. However... we can get tomatoes using many techniques, but I want the best since I do this for money.

4-5 gallon, two plants, single stem, will get the most out of any square foot of space, and it is tops for cost control too.

I hope this helps
Mark
Old June 18, 2018   #147
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Mark, I can distribute some for you in my January seed offer too, if you so desire.
That is a great idea, I was going to ask you. I will send a couple of varieties your way this fall. Thanks a whole bunch.

The Karma plant is gigantic now, I need to saw off some branches, a person could get lost in there. Lots of clusters of fruit have set, should have some ripe ones very soon.
Old June 18, 2018   #148
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Great read but would you say the same principles apply even if grown outdoors. For example, I cannot control the temp enviroment. Actually tweaked the emitter zone to water 3 times on the containers...

It's hot. Medium has been drying out a bit more than I would prefer. etc.etc
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #149
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
Great read but would you say the same principles apply even if grown outdoors. For example, I cannot control the temp enviroment. Actually tweaked the emitter zone to water 3 times on the containers...

It's hot. Medium has been drying out a bit more than I would prefer. etc.etc
There are many environmental factors that will affect growth. Rain, very hot sun, wind, etc, etc. You will need to adjust for your situation. For example, sun scald in Texas, leave a few extra leaves, rain in Washington, don't water as heavy, etc.

You can adjust and still use any technique you wish in principle. You must experiment though to find the best way forward for your area, if you don't you will never know what that is.

Keep putting the water and food to them.

Enjoy, experimenting is fun.
Old June 18, 2018   #150
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That is a great idea, I was going to ask you. I will send a couple of varieties your way this fall. Thanks a whole bunch.

The Karma plant is gigantic now, I need to saw off some branches, a person could get lost in there. Lots of clusters of fruit have set, should have some ripe ones very soon.
If you get me a few by August, I will even be able to grow them and get folks the next generation. Your choice.
I really can't wait until you have ripe KARMAs to taste.