Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 5, 2019   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Found this at the grocery

I couldn't resist getting this one tomato because of the stripes. It was in a bunch of pink hot house large slicers. My question is whether or not anyone else has had these show up?

It is obviously from a "hot house" and was picked green and then gassed. It has a pink blushing at the blossom end and typical hot house features around the stem. I intend to allow it to finish ripening on the counter and then harvesting seeds. I'll check germination and then make a decision on sharing some.

Let me know if you've seen this before and any observations you made. I'm wondering whether or not the stripes will fade out as it ripens. I feel it's somewhat unique and unusual for this large size to have stripes and be offered with other non-striped beefsteaks without stripes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TNStriped1.jpg (120.8 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg TNStriped2.jpg (110.2 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg TNStriped6.jpg (146.7 KB, 326 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks to me like it was removed from the heirloom section and place in the section you picked it from.
If you have an heirloom section at the store.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2019   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, the store does not have a section for heirlooms or OP's. The guy stocking the veggie section said it was with the others. Anyhow, all I want is to get a few viable seeds. I think it might be a good candidate to make a few crosses.

Worth, you commented on the color. It has a pink blush at the blossom end that I suspect goes right on into the meat. I looked at this and my thoughts went immediately to Cherokee Purple and a few other purple/brown/black varieties that would make some interesting blends to search thru.

Hope you're doing okay. My recovery from Gall Bladder surgery is going slowly, but well.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old November 7, 2019   #4
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

It looks like one of Brad Gates "Wild Boar Farm" varieties with the gold striping. Check out his web page and you can see that almost all of his varieties have the striping in the first photo. They are totally gorgeous tomatoes. He does have some which have unique tastes, but for the most part; the beauty is only skin deep. It looks like someone got some Pink Boar mixed in with the other seed. It is an excellent tomato.

https://wildboarfarms.com/
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2019   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, the ripening is done and the tasting is done and the seeds are fermenting. Below are two pictures of how it finished. This is the blossom side of this tomato.

Note the large blob of core material and how far it reached. The stem side was even worse.

The taste was bland and totally unremarkable - even with salt.

I will pursue this one to see if I can get a vine ripened one to test. I will be looking for the stripes that actually faded quite a bit and were not as dominate.

So, here's to next year's efforts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TNStriped7.jpg (167.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg TNStriped8.jpg (158.2 KB, 141 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old November 18, 2019   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

From the photo, it looks like the tomato may have a mild case of internal white tissue. A growout that produces fruit without the disorder, if that's what you have, may produce tomatoes with more flavor.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Awwww!!! You mean that all tomatoes don't have that much core material???? If this was the only kind of tomatoes we could buy in the winter, I'd probably slap the produce manager. Well, I agree with you.

I have the seeds in fermentation right now - today is day three. I'll plate them and dry them out between now and next week. My homemade seed dryer makes this a bunch quicker.

It appears that I'll get about 150-200 seeds. My concern is that the fruit was harvested well before the others in the grocery store shipment. The others did not have that much core material and tasted "okay" (6.5 / 10). Assuming that this one had as much "gas" as the others, it must have been "really green".

I'm going to try germination on some that are fresh out of the fermentation rinse steps and also some of the seeds that get properly dried. I'm fermenting to try to eliminate any of the anti-germination gel from negatively affecting viability.

Wish me luck.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old November 18, 2019   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Not the core material, the walls.

That's where I see whitish tissue. Since I rarely grow tomatoes that have the interior "spoke" pattern like the above, I didn't research whether such cores are also affected by internal white tissue. I generally stick with extremely meaty beefsteaks and hearts. When the internal white tissue shows up, it's in the walls, not the center. And, the flavor of those tomatoes has always been bland.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2019   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Not the core material, the walls.

That's where I see whitish tissue. Since I rarely grow tomatoes that have the interior "spoke" pattern like the above, I didn't research whether such cores are also affected by internal white tissue. I generally stick with extremely meaty beefsteaks and hearts. When the internal white tissue shows up, it's in the walls, not the center. And, the flavor of those tomatoes has always been bland.

You are right on. I believe this particular fruit was picked way too green and was just hard as a rock. The presence of all the white material sings of this. I did notice that while it was (as you said) bland in taste, it was not sour as in too green. We'll see how this one progresses. I am really only interested in the stripes. This tomato weighed in at 15 ounces. One of my thoughts about it is for breeding purposes. But, first, I must get viable seeds from this one and grow one that we can check out in the "vine ripened" category.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch