Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 5, 2018   #10
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm out of space now, and of course the weather has turned unseasonable cold, with lows right around freezing for several nights this week. I bought a diesel/kerosene salamander/job site heater last fall. I have problems with it shutting off, so I put it on a timer, and that helped a little. But I can tell from the fuel consumption that it is not running enough. So I just now built a fresh air intake for the heater, which is a blower connected to a wall so that it draws in fresh air. The idea of pulling in cold air into a structure I am trying to heat is counter intuitive, but if it keeps the heater running, then it will more than compensate for the cold air it draws in.

I am probably going to have to stay up and watch it. If the heater shuts off and the blower continues to run, that would be bad.
Cole, before I bought the Thermablaster Heaters, I was going to buy a Propane Forced Air Heater, cousin to your Kerosene Heater. But naturally, by that point most retail locations were already sending back stock to make room for spring and summer goods. Thats why I had to get what I got, but at least I got a good price on them.

Meanwhile....

I know of a small nursery business that uses the forced air heaters in their tunnels. So, they definitely work. But I think moving the heater outdoors, with it blowing into some ductwork would give you better results. I know they say specifically to NOT do that, but whats the worse that can happen?

Or maybe, prop open a door, placing the heater right there, then some scrap plastic to help seal the opening?
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote