Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 20, 2009   #16
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARDENFROG have a great day.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2009   #17
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Poona Kheera began flowering this morning, wont be long till its loaded with cukes. Cool Breeze and Yellow Submarine still have a ways to go
Old April 20, 2009   #18
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

My cukes got set back by the round of cold weather two weeks ago It'll be at least two weeks before I can munch even baby cukes.
Old April 20, 2009   #19
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Will pick my 3rd burpee pickler for dinner tonight. Had one last night with some homegrown clover sprouts drizzled with italian dressing, pretty good stuff.
Old April 20, 2009   #20
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I am growing only Beth Alfa and Korean this year so far.... looking for Poona Khera seed. Will gladly trade seeds.
Old April 23, 2009   #21
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I'll be planting Japanese climbing, mini-white, straight 8, lemon, and perhaps a pickler. They will go along the fence the peas are growing on. Need to find something sturdy for the Japanese climbing - alittle disease prone but excellent fruit even when larger. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2009   #22
IrishGuy
Tomatovillian™

This year is my first year for growing cucumbers. And I decided to grow some from seed mostly for something for my 3 year old daughter to enjoy, planting, watering, watching grow, etc. Right now the plants are in 16 oz. plastic Solo cups and they are all around 7" tall. I plan on transplanting three plants into larger pots and growing them in the pots. I don't have any room in my small garden to have cucumbers in the ground. At what point does anyone reccomend I transplant the plants into the larger pot? I usually don't plant my garden outside until the middle of May. I am in northern Indiana and we could still very possibly get frost overnight. If need be, I could put the plants into the pots and keep them inside the house for a little while. Thanks for any advice on this.
IrishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #23
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Harvested around 12 Burpee Picklers so far.Poona Kheera has its first baby cuke and is flowering like crazy. Yellow Submarine and Cool Breeze have just begun flowering. Plan to make some refrigerator pickles sometime soon
Old May 9, 2009   #24
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

This will be my first year for growing cucumbers. I've started some to put out as seedlings, and will be sowing a few directly into the soil in case the seedlings don't respond well. Although I have MORE than enough seedlings to plant out.

Varieties: Chinese Yellow; Delikatesse; Poona Kheera; White Stallion

I have plenty Delikatesse and Poona Kheera, and a couple White Stallion. Only 1 Chinese Yellow as I sowed just a couple knowing space will be limited.

Now will have to decide whether to allow them to sprawl or stake them. Most likely I'll allow them to sprawl.

I've heard good things about Poona Kheera and White Stallion, so I'm expecting the best from them.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009   #25
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Picked my 8th Poona Kheera this morning. Not sure about Cool Breeze at this point, plant is pretty large with plenty of female flowers but they are all dying and falling off. Not one fruit forming as of yet
Old May 9, 2009   #26
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Guess you could hand-pollinate from Poona Kheera male flowers if seed-saving is unimportant.

Got a little paintbrush?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009   #27
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Cool Breeze isnt supposed to need male flowers to pollinate but I guess it might be worth a try. I thought I would be making refrigerator pickles by now.
Old May 9, 2009   #28
zinnia11
Tomatovillian™

I started two cucumber plants, Boston Pickling and Tendergreen on around March 9. I have seen several of the tendergreen cukes develop and grow, but they only get to be about 3-4 inches long and they are very plump and then they start turning yellow. Is this normal? Should I pick the cukes when they are so small or are they not ripe yet? I thought that they would get much longer before becoming ripe enough to pick. This is my first garden, so I am clueless.
zinnia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009   #29
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Having grown cucumbers in the past, I know for sure that nothing in the supermarket can compare with the fresh, sweet quality of home-grown, fresh from the vine. I have expanded my varieties and am starting (germinating) the following for this season--- Poona Kheera, Lemon, Korean & Beta Alpha. Let's hope & pray we have a good season.
Old May 10, 2009   #30
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I googled the tendergreen cukes and it is supposed to get about 6.5 inches. I have only grown cucumbers a few times but the color change would tell me they are done growing and are getting over mature. I would pick before that.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote