Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 5, 2016   #16
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing indeterminates in cheap 10G poly grow bags, white side out. $.50 each can't be beat. I haven't used this brand before (purchased from ebay seller HTGSupply), but I have 3 year old poly bags still in use, and they're probably done after this year.

I have decided that it's better to get larger volume bags than needed, as you can roll the excess down to form a lip for extra strength when relocating. And I can top them off with additional mix if necessary.

I won't be trying fabric bags again until I have a good automatic watering solution. I would love to get a bunch of Super Roots Air Pots, but the price for the larger ones is outrageous. I can build two 27G self-watering containers for less than one 12G Air Pot. I do like the small ones for fig cuttings, as they develop great rootballs.

I normally use equal parts peat, compost and structure, but this year it's been 50% peat, 25% compost and 25% structure to save some cash. Not as much compost as I prefer but prices have gone up on the bagged stuff. I plan to have a hitch and trailer next year to buy compost and pine bark fines by the yard for major savings.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2016   #17
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

I have some of the WalMart shopping bags I tried this year - an Ichiban eggplant, 2 Black Beauty eggplant - both are killing it

I also have a pink Brandywine in a shopping bag that looks great, too

I filled the bags half way full with dead leaves, just for kicks, and filled the rest of the bags with a generic potting mix. I have the Ichiban in just a generic 2" saucer, and the other two in bus pan sized containers with holes about 1.5" from the bottom.

I have them set up on my irrigation system with the irrigation leads just lying in the water reservoir. I have another auxiliary water source for needs when I do not irrigate.

Hotter than Hades in MS, but lots of humidity - so far, the plants looks great and both eggplant cultivars have produced delicious fruit. The Brandywine is just above seedling size, but is growing great and starting to show buds - I hope my hot MS summer doesn't completely prevent fruit from setting until October.
Old July 11, 2016   #18
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Gary1234 I used grow bags and containers for years. Only use a soiless mix, I use Pro Mix, others use a 5 1 1 or a 3 1 1 mix with added fertilizer and lime, etc. Raybo has a mix in his thread on earthtainer growing. Soil can get too compacted in containers. I just had raised bed made and their filled with Pro Mix HP to which is added a slow release fertilizer, lime and magnesium in the form of Epsom salts. I also give a weekly weak dose of a water soluble fert. I always use ferts with micro nutrients.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote