Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 5, 2016   #1
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting Black Krim deep south for fall

Hello, all. My name's Charles and I had a bit of luck with Cherokee Purple this summer, but my two surviving Brandywine's gave only one blossom rotted fruit. I started too late even though I started seeds Feb. 22nd. The heat has killed all fruiting at this point. I live in the 70525 zip code in South Louisiana. I've heard of some East Texas planters having luck with Black Krim as a Fall crop. I'm about to start some seeds of Krim, but wonder if I'm going too early this time. I will keep them inside after noon, along with some Cherokee and Brandy clones. During the day for the next 2 months the "feels like" temp will be over a hundred barring some crazy early cool front. I'll keep the brandies in 5 gallon buckets, but was hoping to transplant some Cherokee clones and the Krim from seed into the earth garden. Any advice on these varieties way down south?
thanks,
charles
fnordly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

Welcome, Charles, to the forum!

I'm in north Texas with less humidity than you have, well, normally less humidity, LOL. But Black Krim has done well for me before- both holding over the garden until fall and starting a fall new start. I would be starting them now if not holding over the garden this year.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2016   #3
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

thanks, imp… I'm going to start the seed around the 10th or 12th… only holding off because of the whole "plant by the signs" thing… I'm scientific and am not a believer.. but maybe just a little superstitious and want all things possible going my way.
fnord!
Old July 9, 2016   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I can't speak to southern growing, but I usually set out my Black Krim May 10-15 and get first ripe fruits July 20-25, so that's what approx. 70-75 days. So you could get an approx harvest season by taking a hypothetical plant out date, adding 75 days then seeing how far ahead of your average first frost date it is. It would be a rough estimate as growing conditions year to year variations etc all play a role.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016   #5
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

thanks villian! I'm doing the bizzaro world planting schedule here… hoping for the best by trying to hit harvest time around 2nd week of October. Good news is I can keep the babies mobile (bring them in after 11 am… back out if/when temp is below 90) during this 110+ heat index time (wasn't this hot in the 80's when I was a kid). I'll be dropping the krim seed in the next several days. Do Black Krim crave any thing special as a strain/tricks of the trade?
thanks again,
fnord!
Old July 10, 2016   #6
imp
Tomatovillian™

Strong support and regular watering.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2016   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnordly View Post
Hello, all. My name's Charles and I had a bit of luck with Cherokee Purple this summer, but my two surviving Brandywine's gave only one blossom rotted fruit. I started too late even though I started seeds Feb. 22nd. The heat has killed all fruiting at this point. I live in the 70525 zip code in South Louisiana. I've heard of some East Texas planters having luck with Black Krim as a Fall crop. I'm about to start some seeds of Krim, but wonder if I'm going too early this time. I will keep them inside after noon, along with some Cherokee and Brandy clones. During the day for the next 2 months the "feels like" temp will be over a hundred barring some crazy early cool front. I'll keep the brandies in 5 gallon buckets, but was hoping to transplant some Cherokee clones and the Krim from seed into the earth garden. Any advice on these varieties way down south?
thanks,
charles
As you can tell from my username the advice I offer is not southern specific. I have a part shade backyard and BK is my standout performer. Other posters on the forum have also noted blacks produce better than reds in shade.

I haven't fully grasped the two seasons you southerners get. When we plant up north in April/May, our days are getting longer. In your fall season, days are shortening. I don't know if there is a correlation between shade tolerant varieties and day length, but I would imagine you could get a longer season from them.
So yeah, why not go ahead and test the theory.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2016   #8
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

As a MS neighbor, I am looking forward to seeing your progress and results. I have no experience with any of this, as this is my first serious year to really grow anything.

I have 2 bush hybrid - patio and better bush, and a Bonnie Creole set-out; I have 3 Pink Brandywine, 3 Mortgage Lifter, 2 Sweet Carneros Pink, and 2 Pink Berkeley Tie Dye from seed.

So far, my Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter plants have both bloomed - just waiting to see of the fruit sets. The plants are very vigorous and are all budding heavily. The Sweet Carneros and Pink Berkeley seedlings look great, and I hope to have September/fall tomatoes from those.

it is hot and humid where I am - about 60 miles north of Mobile lattitude
Old July 11, 2016   #9
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

Trust me I'm not trying to grow Spring Heirlooms in full sun down here. My bed gets shade after 2:30 pm… It's still too hot for fruiting in mid June. Beyond investing in an air conditioned greenhouse, fall/early winter harvesting seems the only option. I'm an old carpenter so building my own Anti-bug/heat/cold tomato house is probably going to happen soon. The bug defense/fungi rot, etc involved in the outside bed weighed against concept of moving 5 gallon planters in and out of the oppressive heat… seems much easier to build a greenhouse.
fnord!

I will update the progress for my fellow southerners who like tomatoes that you shouldn't be able to grow down here,
fnord!
Old July 11, 2016   #10
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilburMartin View Post
As a MS neighbor, I am looking forward to seeing your progress and results. I have no experience with any of this, as this is my first serious year to really grow anything.

I have 2 bush hybrid - patio and better bush, and a Bonnie Creole set-out; I have 3 Pink Brandywine, 3 Mortgage Lifter, 2 Sweet Carneros Pink, and 2 Pink Berkeley Tie Dye from seed.

So far, my Brandywine and Mortgage Lifter plants have both bloomed - just waiting to see of the fruit sets. The plants are very vigorous and are all budding heavily. The Sweet Carneros and Pink Berkeley seedlings look great, and I hope to have September/fall tomatoes from those.

it is hot and humid where I am - about 60 miles north of Mobile lattitude
I grew Berkeley Pink Tie Dye over here last year. We had lots of them 110+ days and 110% humidity and I had tomatoes coming out my ears from it. It did slow down a bit during dog days of summer but as soon as temps backed up a bit it started producing like crazy.

Quote:
Trust me I'm not trying to grow Spring Heirlooms in full sun down here. My bed gets shade after 2:30 pm… It's still too hot for fruiting in mid June. Beyond investing in an air conditioned greenhouse, fall/early winter harvesting seems the only option. I'm an old carpenter so building my own Anti-bug/heat/cold tomato house is probably going to happen soon. The bug defense/fungi rot, etc involved in the outside bed weighed against concept of moving 5 gallon planters in and out of the oppressive heat… seems much easier to build a greenhouse.
fnord!

I will update the progress for my fellow southerners who like tomatoes that you shouldn't be able to grow down here,
fnord!
Also grew Black Krim and it made it through our yucky weather. I had a bit of problems with it til I gave it a bit of shade during worst part of day and it did well.

If you haven't grown Blush before give it a try. That is one tough plant. It even took a couple of light frosts. It was still trying to produce when everything else was pulled for the season.

I am finding sticking to the cherry and sm to medium size tomatoes do so much better in the heat and humidity, plus we have major water restrictions on top of it. I love the taste of those bigger ones, but they take just to long to grow and mature and to me, personally, not worth the time and trouble for just a few large slicers.

There so many good producing and tasty med ones out there, just need to ask for ones med size that have the flavor of the bigger ones you like.

Keep us updated on your progress. I was going to start fall crop in June and decided to wait til now. Figured by the time the seedlings get big enough to go out that temps will still be in the 90's and will have Aug, Sept , Oct and Nov and if lucky part of Dec before first hard frost comes in, so I'll grow those with shorter DTM for fall.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #11
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

I hope I am successful with the Pink Berkeley Tie Dye - really looking forward to the feast for the eyes and the mouth, if other reviews are solid.
Old July 12, 2016   #12
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Starlight! I had a good early evening rain and soaked my starter containers and dropped the Krim seeds today. Never heard of the tie die, or Blush: guessing I'd have to order seeds? What are your favorite cherries and mediums? I'm more into flavor than production, but both would be nice!
f!
Old July 13, 2016   #13
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilburMartin View Post
I hope I am successful with the Pink Berkeley Tie Dye - really looking forward to the feast for the eyes and the mouth, if other reviews are solid.
Hey, Wilbur: where are you: Ole Miss territory or down State way? Do you have any fruit or just flowers? What are your low and high temps?
thanks for the encouragement,
fnord!
Old July 13, 2016   #14
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Welcome, Charles, to the forum!

I'm in north Texas with less humidity than you have, well, normally less humidity, LOL. But Black Krim has done well for me before- both holding over the garden until fall and starting a fall new start. I would be starting them now if not holding over the garden this year.
Yo, Tigger!
You are waaay! more North; though, I nearly died in Tyler roofing a half assed mall during my summer break from Northwestern State University (circa 1991). So, I imagine you know a little bit about protecting the 'mators from that huge ball of fire in the sky (what are we going to do with that thing?). I'm still learning by the school of hard knocks.

thanks for the welcome,
f n o r d !
Old July 13, 2016   #15
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hey, Wilbur: where are you: Ole Miss territory or down State way? Do you have any fruit or just flowers? What are your low and high temps?
thanks for the encouragement,
fnord!
Down south at USM in Hattiesburg. Highs routinely hit 97/8 with tops being around 100 with humidity in the 75-90% range. Mississippi hawt.

The Pink Berkeley TD I have are just past the seedling stage for now - but the seedlings are strong and flourishing. Hoping to get some Sept/October fruit on them. My Creole has produced about 12 fruit so far and has 10 waiting to blush right now; similar numbers for my Patio. I have a young Better Bush that is about to bloom. My Brandywine Pink and Mortgage Lifters have bloomed, and will hopefully set buds this week. Here is a pic of the Pink Berkeley TD seedlings from yesterday:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (425.6 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by WilburMartin; July 13, 2016 at 08:58 AM.
WilburMartin is offline   Reply With Quote