Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 13, 2016   #16
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

Dropped a few seeds of Big Beef about an hour ago. The Black Krim and Cherokee Purples and Brandywine will make up the fall harvest (hopefully). Maybe a carryover or two of Big and Better Boy.
Actually saw some Black Prince plants at the Lafayette Home Depot today $4.00. I have too many clones and the Big Beef and Krim on the way… so I didn't buy it… yet.
Being a bassist, we musicians have the term GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and maybe I have TAS! Want to own many varieties and taste them all.
f!
fnordly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

Well, hang on for the MMMswap- either in that, or just ask for some PBTD seeds as many of us have them.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #18
WilburMartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnordly View Post
Dropped a few seeds of Big Beef about an hour ago. The Black Krim and Cherokee Purples and Brandywine will make up the fall harvest (hopefully). Maybe a carryover or two of Big and Better Boy.
Actually saw some Black Prince plants at the Lafayette Home Depot today $4.00. I have too many clones and the Big Beef and Krim on the way… so I didn't buy it… yet.
Being a bassist, we musicians have the term GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and maybe I have TAS! Want to own many varieties and taste them all.
f!
shout out from another bass player - this year has been all about TAS, and everything else related to gardening: containers, potting mix, fertilizer, yard tools, cages, hoses, seed - you name it, I bought this was my first season to be in a good place for growing and in a good head-space.

A neighborhood cat (probably one of mine on an outside adventure) demolished a sweet carneros pink plant, and the replacement seed just germinated. Hope my plants will hold on until the heat and humidity give it a rest
Old July 25, 2016   #19
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilburMartin View Post
shout out from another bass player - this year has been all about TAS, and everything else related to gardening: containers, potting mix, fertilizer, yard tools, cages, hoses, seed - you name it, I bought this was my first season to be in a good place for growing and in a good head-space.

A neighborhood cat (probably one of mine on an outside adventure) demolished a sweet carneros pink plant, and the replacement seed just germinated. Hope my plants will hold on until the heat and humidity give it a rest
I suggest wrapping your veggie plot with 2ft tall chicken wire. It has deterred most mammals for me. I do have a hundred pound lab who probably keeps the critters away, too. But he sleeps inside. I also suggest planting for the Fall; 90+ temps will not give fruit.
I've got way too far into the nature part; I'm on 3 acres. I cut my own stakes off white oak branches or young Chicken tree trunks (Chinese Tallow). I also, raise my beds, with home grown wood surrounds. It is actually a challenge to keep the trees from taking over in the back pasture (acre).
f!
p.s. bass sounds much better than twanging sounds
Old July 25, 2016   #20
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Scorched Earthers

Quote:
. . . bass sounds much better than twanging sounds
"Ugh . . . I kindly like the twang," said the pedal steel guitarist.

(Small-world thread: I was born in Hattiesburg, and I'm going to try Black Krim {among others}, Autumn and Spring.)

Anyway, trying to coax some tomatoes out of our shared latitudes of Greater Hades can be a challenge. Good luck to all of us Scorched Earthers . . . (which could be a decent band name . . .)
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2016   #21
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

Default Update: Black Krim healthy

As soon as I can I'll get pictures up.
But to report for the down south grower…
I planted 8 BKs and all came up (2 in one container; none in one). They are growing tall and strong and will have to bedded/potted soon even though I started them in 3x3's. Same holds true for my Big Beef's and Delicious.
Through the kindness of another member, I planted 3 seeds each of Berkley Tie Dye and Black Cherry (as they're quicker to set at 65-70 days. I requested the Tie Dye and was gifted with the aforementioned as well as Bear Creek, Indian Stripe PL, Daniel Burson, an Paul Robeson. I have to wait for Spring for all those, but am stoked from the reviews I've googled up. This forum is awesome

fnord!

Last edited by fnordly; August 15, 2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old August 18, 2016   #22
Brianmch
Tomatovillian™

I love the Krim but mine haven't loved the 98* days/ 80* nights and 70% humidity we had in Missouri alll of July and week 1 of August. The plant is okay but 1 haven't had fruit.

Hi and low temps have been dropping and I'm seeing blossoms now so hope to have fruit in mid September.

Good luck in the Deep South.
Brianmch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2016   #23
fnordly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Brian,
My plants are just seedlings; because of the heat down here, I started them last month to bloom in October. I keep the seedlings in shade for 2/3 of the day and moist. Very good results so far.
fnord!