Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old June 21, 2010   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default So how are your 'maters doing?

Mine are healthy (despite the hot, dry weather) but not very far along. This could be a good thing, since most of my varieties peter out by the time MAGTAG comes around. The only flop this year was the Polish Dwarf that I planted in a pot - it never really took off this year, although it did fine last year. So I went to the local nursery and replaced it with a Husky Red Cherry. Don't usually go for determinates (or hybrids, if that's what it is), but it was the only one they had that didn't get too tall. It seems to be doing OK.
Old June 24, 2010   #2
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Ooh! Last night I noticed a few unripe Cherokee Purples, Sungolds, and Stupices. Sungold and Stupice are usually the first to fruit for me, but I can't explain why the CPs are starting so early.
Old June 26, 2010   #3
hank
Tomatovillian™

I think mine are doing OK. With one well trying to handle multiple projects including my little enterprise of about 1/2 acre of tomatoes, the heat and rainlessness has had me somewhat distraught. Maybe it's time to get philosophical?
On another note, I plan to bring many little baggies of seeds leftover from recent years and hope others will share also. Many of the seeds planted this year are from gifts. It is so neat. Hank
Old June 28, 2010   #4
gflynn
MAGTAG™

I will bring some seeds as well but I am still having a problem with Aminopyralid. Seems that the stuff is still active in my garden. What's more is plots where I completely removed the soil plus and inch or two of clay besides seem to still have the problem but to a lesser degree.

This chemical is quite powerful. I may be leaft to stuff in pots as last year. We will see.

Oh and I have to start a MAGTAG brew before it gets to late :-)

Greg
Old June 29, 2010   #5
hank
Tomatovillian™

Aminopyralid Made me look it up Then what happened
slowly came back
I say, you seemed to have handled it well. The situation gives one pause.
Hank
Old June 29, 2010   #6
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Hank,

It is still affecting most of my plants after 2 years. On the bright side a lady from Dow Agro is coming to my home on Thursday and she may help me. That is they may be willing to remove all of the soil and replace it with compost. That will hurt this year but next year I will be at 100% again.

Greg
Old July 1, 2010   #7
gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Lots of fruits but no signs of ripening yet

Well, some have turned from dark green to light green. I guess that means the next change will be to ripe. My Cherokee Purple were the first to set fruit. Lots of fruit on Riesentraube, Anna Russian, too. Somehow I think Riesentraube will be the first to ripen.

Omar's Lebanese and Cuostralee have immature fruits that still have to get a lot larger.

My first year growing any of these varieties so don't really know what to expect except from reading Carolyn's book.

Hope to be attending MAGTAG and bringing lots of tomatoes.

I am new to all this, I used to grow Burpee hybrid seed. But I think I have OP fever now.
Old July 12, 2010   #8
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Gardener

Great to hear of your success and we hope to see you at MAGTAG!

My tomatoes have been producing cherry's for the last week and are starting to produce bigger ones. I just picked a one that I have yet to identify and I see two Grandfather Ashlock that look ready.

I had better pick them before someone else does ;-)

Greg
Old July 12, 2010   #9
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Mine were doing well, setting despite the heat and humidity... then the deer decided they like green tomatoes!!! It has set me back several weeks and I got a late start as it is!!!
Old July 12, 2010   #10
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Have you ever tried venison jerky? It is absolutely deee-lish!
Old July 12, 2010   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

all my plants have tomatoes going to lighter green from darker green.

on saturday i saw 2 ripe sun golds but i have not been out there since. sun gold would be my 1st ripe as they are very early.

i suspect i'll have ripe tomatoes on other plants in 10 days which is a bit late from the year before, forget last year!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
Old July 12, 2010   #12
gflynn
MAGTAG™

shlacm,

You should invest in deer net. Great stuff. Venison ain't bad either but you can operate deer net without a license.

Let me add that I grew out my MORX cross from last year in the form of 18 plants. It produced cherries of 6 different colors: green, white, light pink, dusky dark pink, red/orange and black/purple. I am convinced now that the cross must have been Black Cherry/White Current.

I have some current sized black ones that are very tasty! The green's are somewhat mild but I am holding out hope that the flavor becomes more pronounced in time for MAGTAG.

Greg

Last edited by gflynn; July 13, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old July 12, 2010   #13
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Tom,

With these temperatures I would think things are getting ripe faster but July 12th isn't that early. I think July the 25th seems to be a common mark for me.

Greg
Old July 12, 2010   #14
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah! View Post
Have you ever tried venison jerky? It is absolutely deee-lish!
I'll figure out a way to "pick them off" if you'll come get the bodies before the Police catch me... you're welcome to ALL the jerky!

gflynn - just a few more days!!! $0 in my account right now, so I've had to "make do." Check it out:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer1.jpg (101.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg deer2.jpg (122.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg deer3.jpg (91.2 KB, 10 views)
Old July 13, 2010   #15
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

I have deer problems also. They are eating the tomatoes and also the vines. What type of net are you talking about? Thanks.