Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old July 13, 2010   #1
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Default First ripe tomatoes!

A couple of Sungolds, of course. I have some unripe Cherokee Purples and Stupices, but it looks like most of my 'maters will be late this year. This is actually a good thing, since my tomatoes have usually petered out by the time MAGTAG is held.

Interestingly, the local produce stands are selling South Carolina tomatoes. Usually by this time they have MD Eastern Shore toms. I know that southern and eastern MD have been suffering from the drought. At least my part of the state has had some rain this week.
Old July 13, 2010   #2
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecilia,

Great to hear of your success. It is closing in on our event and I am guessing that conditions will be good for having many tomatoes just perfect for MAGTAG.

So far I have three large toms that are ripe and Sungold and a Black Cherry and a mess of MORX growout types that even include some green-when-ripe. They should make for a great tasting.

Rob Kasper got a Kellogg's Breakfast plant from me earlier in the season and some other types. He said that he was trying to convince some folks from his community garden to attend the event.

I grew a bunch of extra stuff without cages but I fear that sitting on the ground will reduce their longevity and we may not see those for MAGTAG.

Greg
Old July 13, 2010   #3
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Just checked my plants when I got home from work, and some Stupices are almost ripe. Some things never change - Sungold and Stupice are always the first for me.

Our journalist pal Rob Kasper had an editorial (not his usual "Happy Eater" column) in Sunday's Balto. Sun about the joys of urban gardening (he rents a plot in Baltimore). He was so proud that his Sungolds (and another cherry - forget which) were ripening, until he found that a neighbor had already harvested dozens of them in her plot..
Old July 13, 2010   #4
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Here's a link to Rob's editorial, in case anybody's interested:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opi...,7448148.story
Old July 16, 2010   #5
gardener
Tomatovillian™

We have just picked (and eaten) our first two Anna Russians. Very tasty I might add.

Two more Anna Russians and three Purple Cherokee sitting on the kitchen counter should be ready to eat in a couple of days.

Cecelia I enjoyed the article. I just spent a bundle on a fence (split rail with wire mesh) to keep the deer and rabbits and groundhogs out - so my tomatoes are probably coming in a lot higher than $64 each!
Old July 24, 2010   #6
hank
Tomatovillian™

Ya know, My plants look ok. Drip irr., good weed control, healthy plants, some green tomatoes BUT I think the heat has stopped the tomato production process. There just aren't enough of them. Not ripe yet, but that is not a problem with the planting dates and varieties. Son and I have a pretty patch for pick your own, but I am much worried about the heat/blossom setting problem. Any other people suffering?