Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 18, 2019   #16
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

In order to try to prevent pest diseases, I scrub the pots out well or use new ones, use new sterile potting mix with moisture control granules and food in it (Miracle Grow Moisture Control), provide good light and keep the windows closed. I don't plant until it is cold enough to keep windows closed. Small gnats, aphids, etc., can get through screens and at your plants and breed. Once it is too cold for the pests to be active, I plant, using grocery store plants to save time. I also make sure the soil I buy is from a store that keeps them inside and dry, and the package does not feel heavy and wet. All those measures make it much less likely that pests will have a chance to get at my plants, much less harm them. If I do see any gnats, at first site I float a BT donut in water to water the plants with. But only once or twice did I even see them and those were in spring on my seedlings, not in the winter.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2019   #17
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Being in the NorthEast I've learned as well about summer pests and humidity. Once the snow
melts I move my grow shelf/area to my pantry upstairs. Much dryer. Easy to check. No indoor or
outdoor environment is the same. Learn and adjust.
One in a hundred trays I'll get some dampening off or ills. No tears. Just dump it and move on.
(I rinse my trays of bits of soil on the deck with a hose and run through the dishwasher)

One tiny 1/2 ounce of seed can be 2-3 bucks. A full pound around ten for some seed. 5 pounds
as little as 17$. So I buy bulk. Keep in 1/2 pints for easy sowing since I start salads at least
twice a week. I rotate 5 or six varieties....
Even working long hours, up at 4, home after dark, I can sow a half dozen trays in about 15
minutes while winding down from the drive/commute.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micro seed supply.jpg (80.9 KB, 55 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2019   #18
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I got a second one several months ago, and love the seed starting tray for starting hard to germinate and slow to start seedlings. I use the smaller one for herbs in the winter. The bright light and soft sound of the pump that comes on intermittently in the higher end model drives my husband batty..
I also have a large three level light stand in my garage where I put things when I move them from seed starting set ups, and the weather is not quite right outside.

Shrinkwrap, which high end model Aerogarden do you use? I ordered the Harvest on Black Friday for $75 from wmart. I hope it has the newer pump. The bubbling of the classic pump was a horror to all that owned one of those models.

I saw the seed starting kit as a recent deal of the day on Home Depot. It was $99 and now its $129. I don't have much use for the seed starting tray, herbs are my main focus, and also experiment with trial micros tomatoes on each end.

Bounty went on sale at woot for $159 last week.

Trying to avoid fungus gnats from flying in my mouth from peat and whatever is hiding in my carpet.

On the flip side, I'm a hoarder of LED capacity for the transplant frenzy. Hopefully the aerogarden will give me some quiet bug free time for a few weeks.

- Lisa

I opened the box, but didn't remove the unit. The instruction pamphlet matches the 2018 model on the Aerogarden site. They included a seed kit with a sell by date of 11/19. but it was just delivered today. Thanks for your exclusive model , Walmart

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; December 7, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote