Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 21, 2016   #1
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Default Built a light shelf for my seedlings

I built a light shelf for my seedlings. I usually put the lights over my work bench but during seed season I can't use my bench for other projects. I used 2x2's and scrap plywood for the shelving and stained/sealed it. I also added casters to the bottom so it's easier to move out of the garage to harden off. It uses nine dual T8 shop lights with 6500k bulbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6290.jpg (271.8 KB, 148 views)
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #2
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Very nice, and you can wheel them outside to harden them off.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #3
clara
Tomatovillian™

Very well done! I'd wish I had some more space in my garage for such a light shelf!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Sweet. And when you're not using them for seedlings, they can just be a nice set of shelves....bonus.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Awesome! Versatile too.
Old March 21, 2016   #6
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

If I had a garage it would not be that orderly, and I'd have to put the unit closer to the door. Wheeling very far would not be an option.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

Wower! How many trays can you get on each shelf? 6?

Looks very sturdy, too.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #8
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
If I had a garage it would not be that orderly, and I'd have to put the unit closer to the door. Wheeling very far would not be an option.
The wheels are a big plus : It will be easy to take the seedlings in the open air, under the sun to harden them, and bring them back inside at night.
Kameronth did a great job : strong, elegant, not too expensive. I'm just asking myself questions about the lighting. Instead of T 8 lights I might have used 7020 LED bars, they are reliable as long as you don't buy bottom prices. They give less heat than fluo tubes and more light.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #9
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Wower! How many trays can you get on each shelf? 6?

Looks very sturdy, too.
I'm not sure. I am thinking a decent amount. This year I am going to try more flowers in addition to my vegetables so this should give me enough room.
Old March 22, 2016   #10
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Nice job.
lexxluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #11
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
The wheels are a big plus : It will be easy to take the seedlings in the open air, under the sun to harden them, and bring them back inside at night.
Kameronth did a great job : strong, elegant, not too expensive. I'm just asking myself questions about the lighting. Instead of T 8 lights I might have used 7020 LED bars, they are reliable as long as you don't buy bottom prices. They give less heat than fluo tubes and more light.
I was thinking about going with LED's but I already had 6 T8 units so I just stuck with those. One day I may upgrade to LED's. I do have a heated garage but I usually don't turn it up too high because my gas bill will spike, so I don't mind the extra heat from the fluo tubes.

In the dead of winter I usually set the garage thermostat to 40f. When it's 20 to 40 below outside, it actually feels pretty warm and my wife doesn't have to plug her SUV in! When I start my seedlings I usually set it at 65f.
Old March 22, 2016   #12
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Great Job. I had been thinking about building something like your cart for roll seedlings in and out of the garage. What I hadn't thought about , was being able to use it as a lighting area for small seedling. You can kill two birds with one stone with your combination cart. Thanks for posting this
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016   #13
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

It's posts like these that make me really wish for a garage. If we ever get around to building one, I'm going to insist on it being large enough to accommodate a shelf unit (or two!) like yours. Great job with it!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote