Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old April 24, 2007   #16
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

You southerners are lucky. I guess that you have more bugs and such that comes along with that hotter weather tho. I do put the rosemary out in the summer in a pot. I was just lucky Granny, as most of the time the rosemary doesn't survive in the house. The shop is nice and cool at 55 degrees and it likes it out there better than in the house. It took me a couple of years to figure that out.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #17
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

That gives me hope, akgardengirl. Maybe I'll try once more this year. The "school room" in our new house is a winterized back porch that runs the width of the house. Lots of windows, some bit cooler than the rest of the house.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hi from the north Slope Sue.
I probably have the most rosemary of any one here at tomatoville.

I think over 100 plants now and several types of plants.
From my study of them this year I have found what kinds grow the best in certain conditions, cold, wet, hot dry and so forth.
And as for seeds don’t bother with it taking cuttings is the way to go.8)

If you want I can start some for you from my plants and on a Thursday morning when I come to work you can drive by the airport and I can give them to you at no later than 6:00 in the morning.
Or I can take some cuttings put them in several zip lock bags and the day before I come up here and do the same at the airport.
That way you can try different kinds.
PM me or just say the word, it would be no trouble for me to do it.
Of course security will think it is pot in Austin but I can clear that up well enough.
I LOVE ROSEMARY!!!!

Worth

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2007   #19
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
What a deal! At what airline passenger dropoff should I meet you tomorrow, Alaska Airlines, April 26th, at 5:45 am? If you just take the cuttings, I can root them here. I will be driving a light blue Prius, have dark hair and will look very sleepy.
Thanks,
Sue B.
Okay, I got so excited that I didn't read your post all that well. I will catch you in 2 weeks on the flip-flop. Please remind me by pm as I get forgetful.
Thanks,
Sue
Old April 26, 2007   #20
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default starting rosemary from seed

Checked today on the rosemary soaking in water and now the stems have slimed up and the one with the tiny root has now croaked. Something I am doing wrong here? I did not recut the stems from the package, just plopped them in the water. Would someone tell me the secret of rooting rosemary?
Sue B.
Old April 26, 2007   #21
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

akgardengirl, if you are trying to root rosemary that you got from the grocery, then you need to strip off the leaves for a couple of inches, cut a new end and dip the bottom inch or so in rooting powder or liquid. At that point you can put them right in a very light potting mix if you want to and skip the water bit.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote