Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2018   #3271
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

D0 all our garden seels have a center with a shell or wrapper around the center or is that a hyge over simplification? My bird seems to always crack the seeds and I am assuming he eats the center. The little shells fly all over around the cage. Not a very tidy bird.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #3272
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Given that our Cockatiel bird likes fresh tomato seeds better than his regular bird feed, I decided to give him a go at fresh Pepper Seeds. Put approximately 25 in his feeder and he immediately ate them all up. Bird brain or not he seems to like fresh food from the garden just like all of us do.
Old June 24, 2018   #3273
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

On occasion I have a tomato that looks like 2 or 3 tomatoes stuck together with a single stem. I'm guessing these come from what I read as mega or fused blossoms. If one saves seeds from these larger odd looking tomatoes does it improve the odds of getting a plant with more mega blossoms?
Old June 25, 2018   #3274
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
On occasion I have a tomato that looks like 2 or 3 tomatoes stuck together with a single stem. I'm guessing these come from what I read as mega or fused blossoms. If one saves seeds from these larger odd looking tomatoes does it improve the odds of getting a plant with more mega blossoms?
Some say yes, but I personally do not believe it. The genetics in all the seeds on a given open pollinated plant are the same. Now if it isn't OP yet, that's a different story.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #3275
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Some say yes, but I personally do not believe it. The genetics in all the seeds on a given open pollinated plant are the same. Now if it isn't OP yet, that's a different story.

My personal experience goes with what Marsha said. I had a paste tomato (Cow's Tit) that my husband and I both loved and there were some large double and triple sized tomatoes but the blossoms had not looked like fused or multiple blossoms so I thought it might be a mutation of a larger tomato. I posted the pics on another forum and the knowledgeable people there did not think the saved seeds would produce larger tomatoes and guess what? They were right. I planted about 8 plants from those seeds saved from those larger tomatoes and none of them had the larger tomatoes, they grew like the normal paste.

That was just one experience, but dang I was disappointed... lol. I was hoping the experts were wrong but they were right.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018   #3276
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default The rat

They come at nite they will carry your whatever,maters away,they will snatch hide eat,back to nest,regurgitate to their nest of babies,the food I mean.This Black Norwegian Rat took me two weeks,first the Havahart traps,no go,my Min Pin tracked him,eating back side of fertilizer,dog food next door .This Victor 50,000 volt,c battery’s,one pinch of skippy peanut butter,one hour ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F53A0F6-F1D4-4B5F-9B5A-AFBDAE7A99DD.jpg (431.6 KB, 87 views)
Old July 11, 2018   #3277
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Barb thanks for the seeds of Enjoya peppers. It looks productive. Second year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0096.jpg (259.2 KB, 65 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #3278
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Need help with mites. I sprayed (soap and DE) in the beginning of the season twice and all looked good. At some point I procrastinated and they came. Sprayed few days ago and yes most mites I see under the leaves are not moving but still very few are.
Marsha you recommended Permethrin in the past, which brand? Sorry to hijack the thread.

Old July 21, 2018   #3279
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Need help with mites. I sprayed (soap and DE) in the beginning of the season twice and all looked good. At some point I procrastinated and they came. Sprayed few days ago and yes most mites I see under the leaves are not moving but still very few are.
Marsha you recommended Permethrin in the past, which brand? Sorry to hijack the thread.
Martin's permethrin 10%, I got it last time from "do my own pest control". 1 teaspoon per gallon water. They say not for plants but safe for use on dogs, and I know it's exactly the same as pyrethrins gotten from chrysanthemums, only synthetic. I am very comfortable in it's safety.
Ella, you should do it every 4 days for 3 times. Kill off the new hatchlings.
Your peppers look fabulous.
Old July 21, 2018   #3280
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Marsha.

Unfortunately they are on this pepper plant as well.
One of the peppers turning yellow. I picked it and it is ripening on the countertop. Our property is not too big, so plants are quite close to each other. Easy for spider mites to spread around.

btw I have Mat-Su Express growing nicely: thick stem with big leaves. Thank you for the seeds.

Old July 21, 2018   #3281
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ella - I think your pepper plant looks great. I only grew Enjoya the one year; I had big yellow peppers but no stripes. This year I grew Yellow Monster and Amethyst (the purple one). Both are still going strong; they look really droopy in the afternoons when it is so hot; but somehow manage to spring back. The newer fruit are not nearly as large as they were when it wasn't so hot.

Marsha - I will get out the BAG seeds this week. I guess you are picking/eating mangos galore now.

I'm still in process of taking down my garden. It was much simpler last year when I wasn't solarizing my mix. I have 6 EBs baking already; some as long as a month. The weeds where I don't have weed barrier are relentless this year. For as rainy as it was in May, no mosquitos.

ETA - If anyone wants the pepper seeds let me know. I should do a germ test on the Amethyst; prior germ tests all failed, but I was using purple peppers. Now I have seeds from ripe (red) ones. Also, they are much cooler as purple; red not so much.

Last edited by Barb_FL; July 21, 2018 at 09:30 AM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018   #3282
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

No mangoes because I am in Norway, but there were about 400 or so on the tree. I dehydrated some and brought them on the tour bus- gone in 2 days!
I think there will be some still on the tree when I get back.
Barb, what Is BAG? I forgot.
Old July 21, 2018   #3283
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Norway - That's exciting; Are you on one of the Viking Cruises?

BAG - Brad's Atomic Grape. It is not like a typical Antho tomato.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018   #3284
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Norway now must be all green. Enjoying cheese?

Old July 21, 2018   #3285
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

The cheese is excellent. Not so green, heat wave and drought more severe than any year in a hundred.