Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 24, 2019   #16
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Great tomato photos! I really like seeing them all labeled next to each other for comparison. Wishing you continued success with your garden. Finding new ways to improve and change things up is part of planning fun for each season. Congratulations on solving the deer problem, I have had to deal with them too.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2019   #17
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

You have an absolutely gorgeous garden! Love all the pictures.

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2019   #18
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Great job Noah. Love seeing that tobacco plant in your garden. Quite the variety.
Old September 24, 2019   #19
shule1

Good job, Noah! That's pretty cool.
Old September 27, 2019   #21
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Noah, what is that ?seedpod? with the speckled dark green back and the black spiky spines?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2019   #22
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

That wicked looking thing is an unripe African horned cucumber/ Kiwano jelly melon. They are so cool. This is my second time growing them. The first time I had forgotten about them/thought the vines were dead so I neglected them. I was walking around in my garden barefoot around thanksgiving and stepped on something sharp. When I looked down to my amazement there lay one of these fiendish fruits. If my memory serves correct, the jelly on the inside tastes like a banana meets a sour apple, meets a cucumber, with a squeeze of lemon.

They are beautiful vines too, and very aggressive. I had two seedling vines that took over a huge chunk of garden. I was initially concerned that the vines might not make it, but once they took off, they were unstoppable.

20190904_174927t.jpg
Be 20190905_194844t.jpg

Last edited by NoahYates; September 27, 2019 at 11:13 AM.
NoahYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2019   #23
shule1

I love Kiwano, and my neighbors like it, too. Historically, it has taken a while to grow in my garden, though. I hear it's very aggressive in most areas, but it hasn't been in my garden, interestingly. It must be the soil.

I grow West India burr gherkins without trouble, though! But they taste like cucumbers to sour cucumbers.

Last edited by shule1; September 27, 2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old September 28, 2019   #24
SeanInVa
Tomatovillian™

Noah, you have a very impressive garden! I am amazed at how green it stayed all season! Thank you for sharing all those wonderful pictures with us

I would love to try to let tomatoes sprawl, but I feel like I would run into issues with 1. weeds and 2. diseases. Any resources/posts in particular you might recommend on this method?
SeanInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2019   #25
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! I have had serious problems with weeds this season, but I blame it on the fact that during the crucial interval when I needed to stay on top of hoeing the weeds around the plants and between rows, we were busy putting the finishing touches on the fence... and then we went on a vacation. In less than a week the weeds went from being fairly well under control to being over knee high. I had tilled and amended my garden so well in the spring that the weeds became mutant super weeds, thriving in the fertile ground I had prepared for my tomatoes, peppers, and melons. I nearly had a nervous breakdown when we got back from our trip to the Smoky Mountains and looked upon my garden buried in weeds. I was able to mow and then till again between the rows, and pull the weeds from around my pepper plants but weeding around the tomatoes and melons seemed too dangerous, as it might disturb the roots or delicate vines. Next season since we already have the fence built, I plan to focus my energy during June and July on keeping the weeds at bay. Also, I plan to do major mulching work this fall and winter in preparation for the spring. We have amassed two gigantic mulch piles, which need to be distributed.

With regard to literature on sprawling tomatoes, I would recommend using the advanced search here on Tomatoville to seek out the posts of Carolyn137 which mention the word "sprawl."
Here are a few of the threads that appear when you use that search:
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=sprawl

And here are all of the results of such a search:
http://tomatoville.com/search.php?searchid=3212565

IMG_0206t.jpg

IMG_0207t.jpg

IMG_0204t.jpg

Last edited by NoahYates; September 28, 2019 at 02:28 PM.
NoahYates is offline   Reply With Quote