Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 3, 2016   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Star, I just ate one. I cut it into sections where there were no seeds in the first piece - it was very mild. The seeds are the only thing hot about them. Less heat than a jalapeno for sure, but it's a lingering heat that lasts a while on your tongue.

Aerial, that site sold me - it is a Brazilian Starfish pepper. Cool, I'll save seeds.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; August 3, 2016 at 03:14 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #17
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

wow. Nothing gets that tall here. 3' max.
Old August 4, 2016   #18
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Salt, what kind of soil have you got (native/amended)? Are your beans growing crazy too?

Capsicum Baccatum can grow quite tall given favorable conditions. I love the Ajis..

"Capsicum baccatum consists primarily of the South American cultivars known as Aji’s. The most well known variety in this species is the Aji Amarilllo or the Amarillo chilli. Other cultivars and varieties included in this species are Brazilian Starfish, Peppadew, Bishop’s Crown, Wild Baccatum and Lemon Drop. The species is noted for their uniquely shaped fruit, which are often likened to tulip flowers.

Cultivation of this species tends to be slightly little more complex as compared to other varieties mainly because the plants grow very tall and gangly and the fruits take an inordinately long time to ripen during which time, the plant tends to lose many of its flowers. "

http://www.worldofchillies.com/Chill...-Baccatum.html
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2016   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Aerial, it is native silty/sandy loam with oak leaves mixed in. The soil came from an area with oak trees all around. I'll take some pictures tomorrow to share. It's almost midnight and I've been waiting for young grandchildren to go to sleep - I'm tired
Old August 4, 2016   #20
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Lemon Drop certainly does not obey the description on that site. The plant is almost vine-like in its droopage and the pods are pointy. They do, however, take forever to ripen.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2016   #21
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I won't be taking pictures today. I guess I stayed out in the heat too long yesterday. I can't walk very well today. I'll describe the area instead. The sandy soil comes from under tall oak trees. This area and soil basically only gets full sun in winter after the leaves have fallen. It seems to catch and hold blowing sand/silt better than other areas here. The soil is years of fallen leaves being covered with blowing sand/silt. Basically a natural compost bin.

When we take the soil from there and put it in beds out in the sun - it grows things very well. I guess in-a-way, that gives more info than pictures would.
Old August 4, 2016   #22
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Salt! I was just curious... everything grows modestly (except the rosemary and roses) in my CA clay soil.

Rest well and feel better soon! Summer is still going strong.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote