Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 25, 2022   #496
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Glad to see you are triying some varieties from me) Will be interesting to see how they perform for you since I grew them only in greenhouse in my Zone 4a

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2022   #497
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I hope that you are feeling better.

And, reading through your thread, you should be pleased to find out that EM Champion is a determinate.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2022   #498
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Get well soon and smell your plants as you recover. I too Used my small Green House to grow the Mexico tomato plant in January and Old Virginia Plant Plant in the Big Green House. Only the Old Virginia Produced a Tomato, that is eatable, but I have not Eaten it yets, because it is very small.
I just want to see if I can survive on my seeds like the old days without electricity. I also placed many winter Squash outside during the winter. Believe it or not only the Pennsylvania Dutch Crookneck Squash Survived that is eatable that I did eat last month. Even White And Green Striped Cushaw did not make it, by "Not" using the Native Americans Secrets of protecting their winter Squash. I just wanted to leave it out in the open with other Squashes to see if I would have edible food.

My Mexico Tomato grew as tall as yours but did not produce any food. So you have magical hands, Amen

Get well soon.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2022   #499
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

On Saturday a week ago, I planted my 24 seedlings in two cold frames. I assumed the weather would be better all the time. But the forecast has changed, and in fact the temperature has not risen above 8 ° C in four days in April (the question is whether the temperature in the two frames has risen to at least the required 12 ° C these days). I haven't been to the garden all week, so I don't know what happened to those tomatoes. I'll find out tomorrow when I go there. I will plant the other two EM Champion seedlings and one Praleska. I also have to put a cage for each plant, or tie them. I'll take some pictures of what it looks like and put them here on Tomatoville.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rozložení.jpg (112.7 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg týden1.jpg (64.2 KB, 252 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2022   #500
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I hope that you are feeling better.

And, reading through your thread, you should be pleased to find out that EM Champion is a determinate.
I managed to pre-grow three EM Champion seedlings. One right-rooted, it is already planted in a cold frame, and the other two have so far stayed at my house outside the window (I couldn't take them to the garden at the time, I had no way). I grew the other two from the cut peaks, which I let take root. They look nice, they are definitely bush tomatoes, and even one of them blossomed richly for me that week. One flower looks like a megabloom, I'll leave it, I'll see what it will be.
Vladimír
PS.:My biggest wish is whether the terrible war ends
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3814.jpg (110.7 KB, 254 views)
Old April 4, 2022   #501
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

I keep my fingers crossed for you, Vladimir.
And the war must be stopped at any cost, apart from a NATO counterattack. But that probably belongs elsewhere.
Milan
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2022   #502
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Because I had some health problem, I didn't pay much attention to tomatoes this year. Even so, I already started harvesting ripe fruits from my hotbed in June. There weren't many of them, but it was enough for some kind of breakfast or salad. The taste corresponded to the weather and the varieties (Beaverlodge slicer, Sarayev Shtambovyi, Bezrassadnyi, Jagodka, Kalinka and Sophie's choice), mostly spicy, not too sweet. One variety deviated from this assessment - Lyana Rozovyi. Very early determinant variety with pink fruits. Their taste is balanced, strongly tomato-like with adequate sweetness. For me, the tastiest bush tomato with a taste at the level of the best indeterminate tomatoes.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3898.jpg (84.5 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3899.jpg (86.7 KB, 213 views)
Old July 25, 2022   #503
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Vladimir for your report! Glad to hear about Lyana Rozovyi and hope you ae feeling better too! A question I have a Lyana in my inventory that is red.
Here is the description
Lyana 2019 Ultra early variety. Plant height (1.1 - 1.3 ft) with smooth, round and red fruits, weight 80 - 90g (2.8 - 3.1 oz). Variety resistant to diseases. Ukrainian
Do you think this is the same, even though yours are pink? Maybe just a descriptive error? Or are there two Lyanas?
Thanks,
Heide
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2022   #504
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

received from Andrey a lot of seeds of very early determinant varieties of tomatoes. Due to the limited space in my cold beds, I had to choose which varieties to grow. Among others there were seeds of Lyana and also Lyana Rozovyi. I chose Lyan Rozovyi and I think I did not make a mistake. Also because I haven't grown any pink determinant tomatoes yet. It's a really excellent tomato whose taste suits me. If you are interested, I can send some seeds.
Vladimír
Old July 27, 2022   #505
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The old familiar Sophie's choice tomato. Medium-sized fleshy fruits, slightly acidic 80-120 g. It is interesting that I measured Brix 9.1 when measuring with a refractometer. It should be a sweet tomato, but it has a pH of 4.0 and is therefore one of the more acidic (acids predominate). The taste is good, but I prefer other tomatoes with a balanced taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3903.JPG (77.2 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3909.jpg (73.7 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; July 27, 2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old August 3, 2022   #506
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Praleska - a very early determinant tomato with a balanced taste, pleasantly sweet. I plan on growing it in my cold frame next season as well.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3913 praleska.jpg (98.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3912 Praleska.jpg (100.5 KB, 146 views)
Old August 3, 2022   #507
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Very Nice Pictures Mr. Big47

I think most people forget about the "Bushy Type Tomatoes Plants" they gives your family many Big tomatoes at once like Angel Field Diener Tomatoes. They are good for your Summer Fall Supply at Farmers Markets they will give your Customers Large Good Tasting Tomatoes free from any crack resistant, free from Blight and Drought.

It is a Great Pleasure to Grow Heirloom Tomatoes that grows on a Vines and taste Delicious, but the Bushy Plants offers an abundance of Big Tomatoes at One Time. The Diener Big Tomatoes are Mid-Season, so if you live by the Sea or Beach your Mid-Season is now for your Biggest Crop like mines, Amen!!
Old September 3, 2022   #508
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

As some of you know growing at the 62nd is extremely challenging until you figure a few things out. Issues such as understanding zones really comes into play, then the bazillion variables not mentioned there.
Anyway, we have been tinkering with cold tolerant stuff for years, trialing varieties, preserving varieties, crossing and stabilizing new varieties. On the member website link I posted our page we use in AK, it's where we share tidbits about far North gardening, and lots of fun pictures.
I shared this to get back in contact with other northern seed collectors so we can trade seeds, share info etc. If you have some cold tolerant stuff and want to trade any seeds, pm me, I'll trial them
Best Fall possible
MO
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2022   #509
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I will Trade with you some of my Cold Sets Tomato Seeds.
Old September 9, 2022   #510
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
I will Trade with you some of my Cold Sets Tomato Seeds.
Fantastic, I'll have my seeds done by Fall. It's been a cold miserable last half of Summer up here, almost all rain since July 14th.
I will PM in about a month with a list of varieties I can send.
Thanks, I will trial them at the 62nd,
Mark
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote