Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 9, 2016   #16
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Hunger, from lack of funds is the best teacher.. If you don't believe me just ask my kid's..
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I know that link very well,and just linked to it recently re Bacterial Canker.

I also know Dr.Zitter and after talking to him about symptoms I saw with seedlings in the greenhouse that disappeared when set out I coined the word CRUD to describe it.

MOST importantly if you look at the top this fact sheet is from 1985 and WAY out of date.So much that was written there would never be done today,such as stirring the contents of a fermentation,which introduces oxygen,thus stopping the fermentation.

Finally,please note that the fact sheet is geared towards commercial growers, from the extension Service which is not the same as the individual faculty labs and offices,with the caveat that commercial growers should let the producers of the seeds do the work.

Carolyn, yes,a Cornell alumna and just noting that Zitter is considered one of THE best tomato infectious disease persons almost everywhere,just do a general Google search. When I had a lady from the Cornell Extension who wanted me to grow both OP's and F1's the same year,and I've described this here before,she learned her tomato diseases from Zitter and they wanted me to spray my plants with spores of Early Blight which they would provide.Absolutely NOT said I,and her interns continued with their disease ID's.I can also tell you that I learned more about tomato diseases that summer than I ever thought was possible,
and that's the positive side of all of this.
Carolyn I know where you went to school and I know you know the man.
Some of us remember things from times past in your writings here.

All I have to say is in any type of research or science you have to have an open mind if not you will be stuck and go no where.
Carolyn I know you like archeology and history.
I know you know how hard it was to convince the community about the age of that Clovis point.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
Hunger, from lack of funds is the best teacher.. If you don't believe me just ask my kid's..
Reminds me of the Vietnamese that would push a bicycle all day long loaded with weapons and his only payment was a bowl of rice and he was happy to do it.
Worth
Old August 9, 2016   #19
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Reminds me of the Vietnamese that would push a bicycle all day long loaded with weapons and his only payment was a bowl of rice and he was happy to do it.
Worth
When I was a teenager, there was an old feller that lived about 4 miles further up the holler. Every summer he would fish for rock bass in the creek. The creek was about 2 miles further on down the road from me, then a mile through the fields to get there.

Some mornings I would see him walk by the house at daybreak with fishing pole and five gallon bucket in hand heading to the creek. Then about dusk, I would see him walking back. It was a pitiful sight, he would walk about a hundred feet, set the bucket down in the road and rest a few minutes, then pick the bucket up and go a little further.

One evening I was sitting in the yard and saw him coming up the road bucket in hand, and resting every little bit. When he got close I walked down to the road to chat with him and see what he had caught. When I got down there and looked in the bucket, I saw 6 or 7 little dead rock bass floating in a bucket almost full of water I said it looks like they were biting today, he said yep, had a good day. I told him I had to go up the holler to see a neighbor, and if he wanted I would drive him on home. It tickled him to death. He passed on a year later.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A friend of mine went to Vietnam.
He married a gal and brought her home.
Together they ran the pool hall and the laundry mat and had one son.
Her words talking about how fat she had gotten.
In Vietnam one chicken last family whole week.
Here whole chicken I eat in one meal.
She saved her money and sent it home to her family.
Her family was the only family in the little village that had a little cinder block house and concrete floors.