Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old June 19, 2016   #1
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

Default Welp whats the best way to store seeds in 2016?

I have read a few post here on storing seeds. They are older posts and i figure there might be new ideas out now. As one who has never stored seeds i would love to here about your systems.

Thanks
Bill
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Edit. I misunderstood and not sure if you mean processing the seeds for storage as well. For storing, I just put them in a 4mil plastic seeds bag and put it an airtight glass jar and put it somewhere cool. I don't really have any method of organization because I'm looking for about a dozen of my favorite variety, I'm not intending to create a database.

Last edited by maxjohnson; June 20, 2016 at 09:53 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #3
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Most folks seem to just store their seeds dry and cool in envelopes and they seem good for up to a decade. Here is a recent thread on the topic. I like the idea of organizing them in a 3 ring binder like baseball cards; I just use a recipe card box and keep mine alphabetical (but is it getting pretty full, lol!)

There also are threads on how to revive older seeds, like this one.

You will find your own seeds usually will surpass your expectations - after all, they haven't already been stored for one or more years before you get them!

Last edited by PhilaGardener; June 20, 2016 at 06:28 AM.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016   #4
shule1

I store my seeds in those inexpensive foam coolers (the kind that they put by the door at Walmart during the hot months). They only cost a few dollars each.

Anyway, my rationale is that the foam insulates the seeds from quick changes in temperature (which I would think would be more important overall than a cool but quickly fluctuating temperature; though I could be wrong). The cooler also blocks light, which is important, they say. I'm wanting to put some pouches of diatomaceous earth in the coolers to ensure the air stays extra dry (but I haven't done it yet).

Anyway, a cool and dry place is the gold standard. However, if you don't have a cool and dry place, you might try this (or if you do have one, you might try both).

You might also consider storing your seeds in a cave in pottery ball vessels (I assume they're probably a kind that absorbs moisture and dries out fast. ) I heard a rumor that this can result in seeds that stay viable for hundreds of years. I haven't tried it, though, of course.
Old September 28, 2016   #5
shule1

You might also try saving seeds over generations and selecting for seeds that best survive the conditions you desire to keep them in. I tend to hypothesize that it makes a difference. This may take a lot of years of experimentation, though, unless they're pretty adverse conditions, wherein the affect would be more immediately measurable, maybe.

Last edited by shule1; September 28, 2016 at 05:30 AM.
Old September 28, 2016   #6
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

What about getting an ice age squirrel to bury them in ice? That can apparently keep seeds viable (with a little help) for 32,000 years!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...lants-science/

Since I don't have an ice age squirrel, I just use plastic envelopes and keep them in our second refrigerator.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016   #7
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
What about getting an ice age squirrel to bury them in ice? That can apparently keep seeds viable (with a little help) for 32,000 years!

Since I don't have an ice age squirrel, I just use plastic envelopes and keep them in our second refrigerator.
That's a long time.
Old September 28, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15157772
cryogenic storage clearly prolonged shelf life of lettuce seeds with half-lives projected as approximately 500 and approximately 3400 years for fresh lettuce seeds stored in the vapor and liquid phases of liquid nitrogen, respectively.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2016   #9
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I had nearly 100% germination last year from seeds I stored away in the late 80's. The seeds were fermented, air dried for a few weeks, then brought to very low moisture in silica gel before being hermetically sealed in a heat seal packet, then placed in a freezer.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #10
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post

It didn't state if they used compost or MiracleGro.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote