Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2010   #196
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
Carolyn, is there any chance you will do a version two of this book? I page thru it repeatedly and only wish it were longer!
I'd love to do a version 2 and a version 3 and whatever and update the favorite varieties I've grown since the book was published/ At that time I'd grown around 1200 varieties and now it's up to about 2500 varieties.

But being confined to this walker following a fall in Dec of 2004 makes it impossible for me to do that as well as getting a photographer that Workman would approve of where I now live.

The last time I grew out hundreds of plants and varieties was the summer of 2004 before I fell.

Some folks have suggested I do a book just writing about the various varieties in terms or traits and the like and others have suggested I write a book about some of the more interesting histories of some varieties.

So I think about it and that's as far as I get.
Old August 15, 2010   #197
Sunsi
Tomatovillian™

carolyn137
Quote:
So I think about it and that's as far as I get.
Well, I like that thinking and certainly encourage you. From the various forums where I read the histories you detail I find myself wanting more--have often thought of saving them for my own personal use but would love to buy a book where the information is all there in one place.

For instance the other day I was looking up the history of "Lucky Cross" tomato because I had just picked my first beauty of the year. You mentioned that a tomato called "Tad" was used in it's conception it's that kind of information that will be lost unless it's written down and not many people have the expertise to do so. I appreciate you so generously sharing your knowledge. Someday when my teenage daughter thinks gardening might be a worthwhile pursuit I'd like her to have access to the history that you can impart. Thank you.
Sunsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2010   #198
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

My Wife knew that I wanted a copy of Carolyn's book so Tonight she gave me permission to place the order. I cant wait for it to get here.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010   #199
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn's book was instrumental in facilitating my addiction to tomatoes, which in turn caused me to quit my job to farm. Curses to her and her book!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2010   #200
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Carolyn's book was instrumental in facilitating my addiction to tomatoes, which in turn caused me to quit my job to farm. Curses to her and her book!
Why thank you so much Fred. It's just a joy to be so highly regarded in terms of curses to me and my book. When I was asked to write that book I'd grown only about 1000 varieties and now it's up to over about 2500.

When I was younger I wish I had taken the time to do some directed crosses, but I didn't, although I did make selections from natural X pollinated F1's and genetically stabilize them.

But in Dec of 2004 b'c I had two bad hips and fell and severed all four quads in my right leg and have had to use a walker since then so no more hundreds of plants and varieties each year for me.

I still grow some here at home, about 30, and concentrate on varieties that will be new to all or most folks so am always looking primarily for family heirlooms where the seeds have not yet been distributed.

Someone else does all my gardening for me now and that includes not just the tomatoes and other veggies, but also the extensive perennial beds that I have here, fragrant perennials being my first love. I've bred both daylilies and miniature roses but most of them were dogs and had to be ASAP gently euthanized.
Old February 10, 2011   #201
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

It's funny how things haven't changed since page one of this thread. I was at Barnes and Noble last week to look for Carolyn's book. One small area was designated to gardening and a girl was doing inventory there. She continued to work while I tried to look at book titles. She wouldn't move so I asked about the book and gave Carolyn's name. She said that she didn't see the book while doing inventory. I added that it was on Heirlooms. She said, "Oh your looking for antiques". LOL! Like many stated on page one about the amount of books on growing pot...they are still plentiful. Maybe if they outlaw heirlooms and home gardens we will find more shelfs of the books we seek.

I do see that Tomato growers has it listed in their catalog and will order it there if I don't find it at the SSE in Decorah, Iowa when we travel through there in the next couple of weeks. That is if we get there before they close. It will give me something good to read on the second half of our trip.
husker nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2011   #202
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker nana View Post
It's funny how things haven't changed since page one of this thread. I was at Barnes and Noble last week to look for Carolyn's book. One small area was designated to gardening and a girl was doing inventory there. She continued to work while I tried to look at book titles. She wouldn't move so I asked about the book and gave Carolyn's name. She said that she didn't see the book while doing inventory. I added that it was on Heirlooms. She said, "Oh your looking for antiques". LOL! Like many stated on page one about the amount of books on growing pot...they are still plentiful. Maybe if they outlaw heirlooms and home gardens we will find more shelfs of the books we seek.

I do see that Tomato growers has it listed in their catalog and will order it there if I don't find it at the SSE in Decorah, Iowa when we travel through there in the next couple of weeks. That is if we get there before they close. It will give me something good to read on the second half of our trip.
You'll find it at SSE in Decorah, it's in the Public catalog and what they call the gift shop and is also found at TGS, SESE, Sandhill and right now I don't remember where else. Baker Creek was listing it up until this year but bumped it along with some other books to add some new ones.
Old February 10, 2011   #203
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

I am not surprised that a girl in the store would not know about a famous tomato book. She probably knows all about the vampire books. I have to go on-line to find other gardeners to talk to. Amazon will have that book to you in no time. You have to pick out an additional item to get to the free shipping. That is what I always do.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2011   #204
husker nana
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn for reply about book being at SSE. Two or three years ago I found them on computer and we were going to be traveling to Nebr. so asked husband if we could find route to go through Decorah. We travel a little out of our way. We either stop on the way or our return trip as we love SSE. I have purchased several books there so yours is the next on my list. While I shop, my husband walks the gardens and paths.

We have made special trips there for tomato and salsa tasting, seminar on tomato seed saving and spring sale of plants and garlic. SSE and all the heirloom seeds that they sell was the start of gardening obsession. It's what started my journey to planting seeds over buying plants. Now add this site and I may even get good at it.

Matilda'skid
Thanks for info. on Amazon. If SSE sold out then I will keep that in mind.
husker nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #205
lilhammerlane
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I really would like to have this book...
I sent you a pm in....(whatch-ama-call it)
lilhammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #206
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I bought mine last year on Amazon.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #207
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Wonderful wonderful book. I checked it out from the library and extended it until they would not let me anymore. I went to order it on Amazon the other day and it was $106.00......! Decided to wait until someone fixed the error. Good, but maybe not that good.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #208
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Wonderful wonderful book. I checked it out from the library and extended it until they would not let me anymore. I went to order it on Amazon the other day and it was $106.00......! Decided to wait until someone fixed the error. Good, but maybe not that good.
Sometimes some sites like amazon have insane prices, try a google shopping search for it. There are 2 sellers trying to sell it for over 100, there must be people who buy stuff overpriced like that without thinking.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #209
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I believe I paid $12 dollars plus shipping for a new book. A lot of seed
companies sell it for about $18.99.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #210
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It's starting to look like my book has become an heirloom itself, which amuses me to no end.

Too bad that as things turned out I wasn't able to do a second 100, or third 100 or whatever.

Several have suggested that I could consider doing a book just on tomato histories, and I think about it, yes I do, and then wander out to the LV to read a good book or watch TV tennis to which I'm addicted.

And having just coordinated distributing one heck of a lot of seed to Craig in Raleigh who raises all my plants for me and ships them up here, and then seeds to Shoe and Lee in NC who do seed production for me and same to Neil in IL, I can sit back and wait to see how all the wonderful new ones that I have seed for do here and there. I grow almost all the ones that I want to share seed of here at home, well, Freda does b'c I can't being in this walker now, b/c I want to confirm the foliage and taste them myself.

Someone is actually asking $100 for my book? That's utterly ridiculous.