Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 6, 2017   #361
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
True but it still gets a smile and starts conversation. For me once I get them talking they are leaving with something.
Have you ever thought about getting a baby potbelly pig for a pet?
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #362
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

No, not sure where your going with that?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #363
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No, not sure where your going with that?
As a conversation starter. (which is a good marketing ploy btw (in ref to mention of po-ganic))

I knew a guy who got a miniature potbelly pig that he would walk on a pink leash. The ultimate chick magnet for sure, but EVERYONE wanted to pet the pig. The ultimate ice breaker......... those baby pigs are cuuuuuute.

Think he ended up giving the pig to a farm who probably ate him at some point; but the thing was presh in his baby days....

Last edited by My Foot Smells; June 6, 2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old June 6, 2017   #364
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Lol, Yeah I've had friends with them as pets but they always end up as bacon, luckily Cora Belle is cute enough to draw customers. Once the tomatoes come in they do a good job as well.
Old June 21, 2017   #365
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

So since my wife and I do not have a garden this year we stopped at a farmers market near us. It's new and pretty small. Maybe 10 vendors. One was meat, one pastries and rest were produce. A few had plants that were herbs and one had bigger pepper plants and a tomato plant. Almost all of them had zucchini and they were going for around a $1 each. Red tomatoes were going for 3.25 a pound and I'm sure they were hoop house grown but I didn't ask. Some had a basket for $6 I think. The first place we bought from had Cherokee purple and reds. I didn't ask about the reds. We got 3 zucchini and a basket of Cherokee purple for 10 bucks. I weighed the tomatoes at 1lb 14oz so it's close to 2lbs a basket. I'm not sure how much what was but I'm thinking 3.50 a pound for the Cherokees. Also eggs were $3 bucks a dozen. I'd like to see what some of the other markets prices are such as down town but I work Saturday mornings.

-Zach
Old June 21, 2017   #366
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

If the CPs don't taste good they are probably those look alike GH hybrids. Hard to tell em apart till you eat one. A vendor at our market sells fake heirlooms.
Old June 21, 2017   #367
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I went to a Farmers Marker in Old Town Omaha last Saturday morning. I saw Cherokee Purple for $4 lb. Bulbs of garlic for $1.50 ea. I didn't buy anything but enjoyed looking around.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2017   #368
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

i tried charging $4 but it didnt go over to well. $3 seems to be all the public will pay here.
Old June 22, 2017   #369
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

The Cherokee purple tasted fantastic but it was the first tomato since last year. They are also very soft. Not a hard ball like the red we bought. I was surprised they didn't have any cherries at the market.

Omaha's old market is great. Fun atmosphere for sure. The river market down here is like that but a lot bigger. Probably close to 200 actual vendors plus restaurants and then the bigger places that sell the same stuff as the grocery store. They also have busters and specialty shops. The bigger markets are a lot of fun.

-Zach
Old June 22, 2017   #370
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If the CPs don't taste good they are probably those look alike GH hybrids. Hard to tell em apart till you eat one. A vendor at our market sells fake heirlooms.
Seems like that would agitate the bylaws and kick him out!! What a d-bag.
Old June 22, 2017   #371
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I just hate that some people eat those thinking this is what an heirloom tomato taste like. If I see people buy them I will try to give them a small tomato for free or a cherry tomato to try.
Old June 22, 2017   #372
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

I bought what I thought was a sungold to add to the garden, but has big fat green tomatoes instead. The ole' switch-a-roo at wally world. I will post a pick once they ripen and maybe get an i.d.

It's irritating, and as you state, most would not know the difference. Hope they don't "save seeds."
Old June 22, 2017   #373
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Have you guys thought about selling dwarfs in 4-5 gallon pots later in the season. You could advertise it as a no planting tomato. Just take home and water? Maybe extend the plant selling season a bit.

-Zach
Old June 22, 2017   #374
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

To big to haul around and most people cant carry something that big. But when I get some HT's on site I'm going to expand to a much bigger selection of plants and sell from the house. Using the 80/20 rule and looking at numbers I make about 90% of my profits from plant sales so I'm going to phase out everything that loses money over the next couple of years. Will always grow tomatoes to sell, but probably not much else.
Old June 22, 2017   #375
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

I didn't think about the transport.

-Zach