Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old October 8, 2018   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Bumping this- Ted, I got 4 RL, and 1 PL from my seeds, and I went to Xanadu site, same thing, she got dome PL too. Have you come across that?( a cross, that, lol!)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2018   #17
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, what I got back in 2013 was what we, today, would call Serrated Potato Leaf. But back then, nobody was recognizing SPL Since then, I just haven't thought about it. I'm headed out the door right now for my CTScan followup with my oncologist. When we get back this afternoon, I'll post pictures. I can show seedlings and mature plants.

I just never thought of changing the leaf on this. There was a lot of folks camped on their own opinions about this subject. Right now, the main thing is that I've never had any differences in the fruit and the tomato growth has always been consistent. I have had some true potato leaves show up on plants with the SPL leaves right there on the same leaf stem.

Gotta go. Be back later.

Okay, I'm back. Here's the photos. The first one is the original plants I got from the original seeds.

Mikhalych13b.jpg

The second one is the 2014 plant grown from the seeds I saved from the original 2013 plants

Mikhalych14c.jpg

So, what should we call it ????
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; October 8, 2018 at 04:55 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2018   #18
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Bumping this up to make sure editing is recognized
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 9, 2018   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Marsha, what I got back in 2013 was what we, today, would call Serrated Potato Leaf. But back then, nobody was recognizing SPL Since then, I just haven't thought about it. I'm headed out the door right now for my CTScan followup with my oncologist. When we get back this afternoon, I'll post pictures. I can show seedlings and mature plants.

I just never thought of changing the leaf on this. There was a lot of folks camped on their own opinions about this subject. Right now, the main thing is that I've never had any differences in the fruit and the tomato growth has always been consistent. I have had some true potato leaves show up on plants with the SPL leaves right there on the same leaf stem.

Gotta go. Be back later.

Okay, I'm back. Here's the photos. The first one is the original plants I got from the original seeds.

Attachment 84518

The second one is the 2014 plant grown from the seeds I saved from the original 2013 plants

Attachment 84519

So, what should we call it ????
Ted, I would call those simply regular leafed. I know the person who came up with SPL, and I disagree. By definition, a PL has entire margins, mitten shaped sometimes, but no serrations. I do not accept SPL as being a thing. It's just a matter less deeply serrated regular leaf.
Having said that, your photos are just RL, IMHO.
These are my 4 Mikhalych seedlings. Seeds from Tillyboris at Xanadu a few years back. One is clearly PL, and no seed mix up, these were sown 2 weeks later than all the rest of my seeds, because I found them in a box. Sown into a separate small pot, not in the cells with the rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181009_094728.jpg (717.4 KB, 42 views)
Old October 9, 2018   #20
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

what a nice looking tomato and that it tastes good... wow! but what about disease resistance? I am willing to give it a try either way though. I am putting it on my list.
Old October 9, 2018   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Guess Im going to have to grow out 1 of each.
Old October 9, 2018   #22
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Okay, here's the rest of the picture of the full sized plant. I can look this over and find a lot of "pure potato leaf" leaves along with "serrated potato leaf" leaves and "Regular Leaf" as well. But, we're beating a dead horse here.

I would like to see your PL plant after it puts on a couple more sets of leaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mikhalych14b.jpg (421.7 KB, 41 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 9, 2018   #23
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Okay, here's the rest of the picture of the full sized plant. I can look this over and find a lot of "pure potato leaf" leaves along with "serrated potato leaf" leaves and "Regular Leaf" as well. But, we're beating a dead horse here.

I would like to see your PL plant after it puts on a couple more sets of leaves.
I will post photos my friend.