Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 16, 2018   #1
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default SSE 2018 Annual Yearbook

I'd be interested to know how many of you have received the 2018 one and how you would compare it to the 2017 one.

I just got mine a few days ago and checked out a few things,and know what I think, but would prefer to hear from others first.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old February 17, 2018   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

How many members and total varieties are in it?
I'm missing this year...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

My short take - strewn with issues and errors, and the decline continues - less listed members than in 1985. Color issues, spelling issues, category issues - pretty much a mess.
Old February 17, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
My short take - strewn with issues and errors, and the decline continues - less listed members than in 1985. Color issues, spelling issues, category issues - pretty much a mess.
I agree completely Craig and Andrey I'll give you the data you asked for when I have a chance to do so which is not right now..

Carolyn
Old February 19, 2018   #5
neil
Tomatovillian™

You hit the nail on the head Craig,what a mess!!! My new listings only have the variety name listed!Why do they have this unsorted tomato seed varieties when we list them by color? Bill Minkey's new varieties are not even listed!No wonder why we are loosing members!
neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hello, Neil - it is so good to see you (we should chat some time soon).

Worst yearbook I've ever seen - there has to be resource issues/staffing problems and more going on there. Only a chaotic situation would bring something like that to print and send.
Old February 19, 2018   #7
neil
Tomatovillian™

I talked to Bill Musser at SSE a few days ago about these problems! He was to get my variety information listed on the online version and get back to me.I havn't heard back from him yet!I don't have much luck with the online version,its more confusing to me than the printed version,if that's possible.I don't know if he got my listings corrected or not! Would love to talk to you anytime you want!
Old February 19, 2018   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Let's aim for next week, Neil - gotta get through a few things this week and during the weekend. Hoping all is well with you!
Old February 19, 2018   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

And this is their second year of mistakes in a row. Last year they put all my listings from all years in 2017 Yearbook even unavailable.
I believe after 2018 Annual Yearbook this should costs somebody a coordinator position.
I really miss Kent and Joanne happy times...

Are there any news about Kent's present activities after his letter and Ceres Trust?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; February 20, 2018 at 12:01 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #10
neil
Tomatovillian™

Andrey you are so right the SSE has went downhill since Kent got booted out and then Joanne retired,what a mess!!!
Old February 20, 2018   #11
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

>> the SSE has went downhill since Kent got booted

Is this the consensus opinion?

I didn't like the direction SSE went after Kent left; I stopped paying my dues after all that drama. 2008, I believe, was when I separated from SSE.

Last edited by Soilsniffer; February 20, 2018 at 10:02 AM.
Soilsniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #12
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

When SSE became a political platform rather than having a seed saving and sharing emphasis my association with them ceased. The new direction seems to have started after Kent was forced out and the activists and lawyers took over. It has been many years since I have taken part. Such a sad story and turn of events.
Old February 20, 2018   #13
PotGarden
Tomatovillian™

Can someone post a link about what people are referring to with SSE?
I have been a member in the past and was just getting ready to rejoin, but this doesn't sound good...thanks!
PotGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #14
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

It's really not about links. Leaving aside any "soap opera" type things that have gone on over the many years it's been around (43 years! - it is inevitable that organizations go through all sorts of upheavals and changes), the real point of this thread is the content of the annual yearbook.

I haven't looked at the on line listing to see if that is equally messy, but I have every single yearbook - and am sad to say this is the most error-filled one yet. No idea of why, but I do know there seem to be nearly constant changes throughout the organization - and that can't help.

As i said above, the biggest surprise was when I saw that there are only about 350 listed members - offering more than 15000 varieties - then again, the unique variety list looks vast, but after seeing double listings and mislistings all over the place, who knows for real how many unique varieties are represented.

I've always seen SSE as a superb cause - even in its current flawed state, it has to be acknowledged for what it has accomplished. I hope that they can sort out where the issues are and point things in the right direction again. My interactions with them have pretty much dropped off to very, very little.
Old February 20, 2018   #15
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
I talked to Bill Musser at SSE a few days ago about these problems! He was to get my variety information listed on the online version and get back to me.I havn't heard back from him yet!I don't have much luck with the online version,its more confusing to me than the printed version,if that's possible.I don't know if he got my listings corrected or not! Would love to talk to you anytime you want!
I have had the same problem with the online version. I chose not to renew, which I felt some guilt about. But it was more of a donation than a useable membership because I found the website to not be very user friendly, with varieties that seemed commonly available elsewhere.

The catalogue seemed confusing and redundant as well. It all made me very sad.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote