Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 9, 2006   #1
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Default Germinating seeds prior to planting???

Hi all! I have a few varieties that didn't germinate for me last year, and I would like to try germinating them before planting to see if they are viable. Last year was my first year starting from seed, so I don't want to give up on these seeds just yet. How do I go about testing them? I've heard of using baggies and wet cotton balls and putting them in a warm spot. Any suggestions???

Thanks,
Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2006   #2
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

You can soak them in water until they germinate. You'll probably have to change the water every few days to eliminate any bad bacterial build up. I use water from my freshwater aquarium and it works very well. I have been told the reason for this is probably the fact that aquarium water will have a certain nitrate level which is beneficial to germinating. You could also add a very small amount of fish emulsion or similar to urge the seeds to germinate.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #3
geol
Tomatovillian™

Hi Tyffanie, I've tested seed in folded paper towel dampened with tap water. I like to cover them with a bowl on a saucer and keep them on the TV or frig. If you have fresh seed, you should see activity within 3-5 days. If not, look below in the "seed soaking methods" thread, there's some good info for dealing with older seed from carolyn 137, and others. If it is close to your starting date, you might want to have your starting medium ready, as you may only get one chance. Good luck!
geol is offline   Reply With Quote