Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2016   #1
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Default Am I the only one?

So after a year of choosing the varieties, how many of each, choose a starting medium, setting up lighting, numbering cells diligently. I lost my chart of what I am growing. I have 200 very healthy tomato plants that I don't have a clue what they are.
Tell me I'm not the only one....... Please

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #2
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Ouch that sucks, I was so paranoid of doing just that, that I took a picture of my chart with my phone! I do hope you find your list!

good luck,
Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #3
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

IN-POT LABELS ??? You have to lose 200 of them to completely lose track of the crop. But you've managed it.

Congrats. You're alone on this one, I think.

Now find that chart!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Old Chef, don't say you have "lost" the list, think of it as you cannot "find" it. Sending positive thoughts your way. Give it another couple of days...in fact don't even think of it at all. You will remember where it is. I second the idea of taking a photo next time. I use my phone's camera for all kinds of stuff so I don't have to carry around a piece of paper to remind me.
Good luck and keep us posted!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I didn't write anything down.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #6
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Doh
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I hope you find the chart. How many varieties ?

I had a chart and also took a picture of the chart next to the batch.
I think I also sowed them in alphabetical order. and labeled each cell.

You can tell some from leaf type. Then further you can identify most from fruits (shape, color)
Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #8
charline
Tomatovillian™

I have a 54 cell tray that accidentally fell down . Some of them stayed in their cells but I have about 20 seedlings that I dont know what they are. But they are very different varieties so I will know when they have fruits.

I am sure you remember what varieties you have sown and may be you will recognize them.
If not, just enjoy the tomatoes! they are a good as the ones with a label on it!

and if you wanted to save seeds and cant do it now, join the MMMM or ask us members. We will send you seeds from whatever variety you would like to have. Lots of generous people around here.
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

On my recent batch I don't even have any name tags, but, they're in alphabetical order, so I remember what is what

When re-potting, they do get their name on the milk cartons.

But when the season progresses, I recognize each and everyone of my plants by heart
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #10
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I've got 65 plants planted in the garden in the last couple of days. 29 varieties & I've never grew most of them before . Losing my chart would drive me crazy. Gonna take a pic of it with my phone as soon as I get home just to be on the safe side.

Last edited by wildcat62; April 22, 2016 at 09:35 AM.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #11
taboule
Tomatovillian™

I feel for you. I stopped using charts (or simile map, or photo, or other "centralized" ID mechanism...) for that exact reason.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I also had to stop with the charts and only used lists as a back-up in the garden if my label failed for one reason or another. Only one time losing the chart and trying to guess what I had was enough for me. I now use only egg cartoons and label the flap with the variety in each two cell or three cell row. I then transplant all plants into cheap white Styrofoam coffee cups labeling them with a Sharpie as I go. If I forget to label one then I give it away to someone who used a list or chart to keep up with their seed starting.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #13
Rosedude
Tomatovillian™

My sympathies, Old Chef. You're not the only one. I have lost old plant lists from BC (Before Computer) times and also from AC times when the disc or drive crashed. I was paranoid before but now I am going to take pictures of everything too. There is a phone app that lets you take a picture of all your purchase receipts so you can keep your proof of purchase for warranties. Those heat-sensitive cash register receipts fade fast. This app would work for lists too. I'd keep a paper copy too, and also write some kind of code on each cell too.

To find the list you need now I recommend the following:
1. Relax and get some coffee or a snack.
2. Think back to the day you planted your cells and made your chart. What day of the week was it? What time was it? Where were you? Did you make your chart in a spiral notebook, or was it a separate sheet of paper? What did you do after you made the chart? Was your chart on just one side of the sheet? Maybe you turned it over and when you looked for it you only saw the blank side. Did you fold it up and put it in your pocket? Have you washed those pants since then? Maybe the list is in those pants, wrinkled and mostly readable. Did it fall on the floor of your garage or potting shed? Were you interrupted while you were working on the planting list? Have you reorganized or cleaned up your desk? It may be misfiled with some other papers you were working on them, maybe your bills?
3. After you have calmly refreshed your memory of that day and the time since then do a physical walkthrough of your activities that day, looking at the physical surroundings. I second what peebee said, YOU WILL FIND THE LIST. It's on the ground, or stuck to another sheet of paper, or under something.
4. Reorganize your work area and it will turn up, probably while you are looking for something else. Meanwhile plant out your toms with labels of the cell they came from so you can name them properly when you find your list.
Rosedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #14
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I also join the throng hoping you can find the list. I have a triple redundant system. I make hand drawings of what is in which cell in the flats. Then, I also include a name stick made from old mini blinds. Then, it is all put into a spreadsheet.

At "Planting out time", I make another hand written listing of what variety is in which position in each row. Then, this info is added to another spreadsheet. It may seem like a bit of "overkill", but as my encounters with those "senior moments" become more frequent, I have to do something or lose it all.

All this repetition helps my memory function.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #15
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Not cool Old Chef, at least you'll have a mystery to solve all summer long.

Great redundancies Ted, we all find ways to cope with our brain farts.

After toiling in the biotech saltmines, accurately identifying, labeling and following tomato varieties is a relative breeze.

Simple rule:

ALWAYS LABEL IN THE MOMENT, never tomorrow, "I won't forget what it is..." gets us in trouble sometimes.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote