Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 4, 2016   #1
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

Default Septoria? Some other fungus maybe?

I have 3 flats of tomatoes that have these spots on them. Of course we've had tons of rain, so I am guessing fungus. Any ideas as to what it is exactly, and how I can treat it, preferably organically? Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160504_161808.jpg (441.4 KB, 276 views)
gvillemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #2
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Looks like bacterial spot.. It differs from Septoria as it affects fruit as well.. Be sure to remove from your property all dead and dying material from the plants displaying the symptoms. Here's some info on bacterial diseases, but unfortunately there aren't any effective treatments..

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/05-069.htm
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #3
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

I removed all spotted foliage. I am hoping that helps. I found the spots on all 3 trays of Cherokee Purple, and one tray of Mortgage Lifter, which were side by side. So far I have not found it anywhere else.
Am I better off to just throw these plants away and start over?
Old May 4, 2016   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Looks like the Bonnie Plants products I saw today here in East Tennessee. Today, I visited 11 sites and found diseases at 7 locations. Please note that based on my previous experiences with them, I am very biased against Bonnie Plants.

Just my opinion. Your experience may be different.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #5
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

I grew these myself, I have never grown this variety before. I've never had this problem either! I'm not for or against Bonnie plants in general. These seeds came from Ferry Morse.
Old May 4, 2016   #6
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't necessarily throw them away just yet, but I'd certainly quarantine them to keep from further infecting of healthy plants. Continuously remove the diseased foliage and you may have a very small chance of them living long enough to produce some fruit (although if they're too far gone it may not even be worth the effort, more pics?). Be very mindful not to touch healthy plants after handling those which are diseased, as you will cause it to spread. A little tip: hand sanitizer does not kill all diseases (septoria being one), so wash your hands well with antibacterial soap and hot water.

I would locate some seed from an alternative source (seedlings would be even better at this point in the season), and definitely get some backups going asap.. Sorry, it stinks to watch our efforts go down the drain so quickly, but at least there's still time to recover. Good luck!

Last edited by Mike723; May 4, 2016 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Spray the seedlings with the dilute bleach spray late in the evening using the less concentrated amount mentioned in the thread below. Wait a few days after using and remove the dying leaves of which there should be plenty. Then use a copper spray using the weakest solution that is recommended on the bottle. Copper spray if used in a concentration just slightly too high will cause stunting of new growth so be sure not to use the stronger recommendations. The speck and spot diseases are some of the hardest to control and if they aren't controlled they will usually infect the whole plants reducing their production to very little if any.

I am also having a little of this stuff show up on my newer seedlings after they have been outside for a few days. I just sprayed all my flats of tomatoes with the diluted bleach spray yesterday afternoon and should see a good amount of shriveling leaves by tomorrow morning. This usually takes care of the problem if it hasn't gotten too bad. Waiting to treat them too long can be the kiss of death.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #8
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

I don't see a link, but I will Google it. Thanks for the info.
Old May 4, 2016   #9
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

So, here is a picture of another tray I found with the same spots. Unfortunately this is most of my dwarf tomato plants. So here is what I am thinking: cut off all spotted foliage, spray plants and soil with a weak bleach water solution, and put them back under grow lights so they are away from rainy conditions. Do you think it might save them?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160504_193036.jpg (301.8 KB, 244 views)
Old May 4, 2016   #10
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

As hard as it would be to do the best choice is to discard all of the plants. The last thing you want to do is introduce it into your garden.

Once bacterial spot is introduced into the field, it can be difficult to control. The bacterial spot pathogen can also persist on infected plant debris in the soil for at least 1 year.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillemom View Post
I don't see a link, but I will Google it. Thanks for the info.
Sorry I forgot to include the link. I checked my flats today after the bleach spray and had to remove quite a few links. I think all the showers and changing weather have brought in a few of the spot diseases here. The same problems have been showing up on my tomatoes already out in the garden also so it is time to get vigilant in disease prevention and treatment.

Here's the link. Bill

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=bleach+spray
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #12
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Sorry I forgot to include the link. I checked my flats today after the bleach spray and had to remove quite a few links. I think all the showers and changing weather have brought in a few of the spot diseases here. The same problems have been showing up on my tomatoes already out in the garden also so it is time to get vigilant in disease prevention and treatment.

Here's the link. Bill

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...t=bleach+spray
Thanks Bill,
Saved your bleach recipe to Docs as reference when needed. Have the same issues in the NC mountains, fungus etc.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2016   #13
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I do not think it is a disease of any sorts. I think it relates to the way they are being watered/ kept. At least your tray picture looks that way to me. Coloring is off too so it means either overwatered or root bound etc.
I had similar stuff happening to me after I foliar sprayed young seedlings. Plants easily overgrew it.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2016   #14
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

Well we have had 6 straight days of rain, and in the last 3 weeks 13 days of rain. So it could very well be too much water. Today is our first sunny day, I'm hoping they dry out and start to look better. Just in case, I have used a fungicide, and separated the spotty plants.
Old May 7, 2016   #15
uncleal
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering if doing a soil drench with the bleach solution, before planting, would have any effect on the spores that get splashed up on the lower leaves?
uncleal is offline   Reply With Quote