Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 22, 2014   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default frustration

So with all the help from everyone, this year for the first time my peppers germinated, grew strong and tall and healthy. When they were transplanted into the garden they actually looked like pepper plants rather than little tiny green somethings.

Fourteen plants of six different varieties all nicely caged, lots of new growth and flowers and the beginnings of small pepperlets.

The garden is surrounded by a picket fence with chicken wire around the bottom to keep out rabbits. The top by an eight foot deer fence. The garden is perched on top of a hill overlooking a few acres of trees, grasses and brush. The "hollow" is home to all sorts of wildlife which is OK as long as it stays out of the garden. The rabbit population is kept in check by a pair of bobcats that prowl around every so often.

Well, either they are filled up on something else or have not been doing their job because some daggone rabbit made a meal of eleven of the fourteen peppers. The gun is out and open season has been declared on rabbits whether they are the culprits or not.

I found the possible entry point and it is plugged and another chicken wire fence has been put up around the peppers. Green beans, lettuce, kale and several other juicy green plants were not bothered.....just my first good pepper crop in years. Aaaughhh!
Old June 22, 2014   #2
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

If you have groundhogs in NE, they are a possible culprit too. That is what works my peppers and greens the most mischief. Peppers often will re-sprout of course.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #3
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Little hardware-cloth cages around individual plants can be useful, and they're reusable from year to year.
Old June 22, 2014   #4
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Also voles will knaw them off flush with the ground. Do you see any rabbit pills around the garden? They normally leave a little something where they have been. And I agree with JJJessee the peppers will often regrow from the root if you have a couple of weeks to wait on them.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I hate rabbits. they ate all my broccoli and did a number on my kale as well. Community garden folks think they are cute... They would be cute in a stew I think. Wish I could impose an open season on them too.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Paul did they eat just the fruit or everything? If it was just the fruit I would lean towards it being rats. They will decimate a pepper crop and keep coming back every night til you kill them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I think not voles since the plants were about a foot tall. Not rats since there was no fruit yet only little nubs that would have grown into peppers. And hardware cloth is a good idea for next year. Here's to hoping you are correct and they grow back. At least that way I will be on par with all the other years peppers are way late. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old June 22, 2014   #8
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

Hardware cloth is BRILLIANT!

My problems thus far has been just when the plants are young.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Oh Bummer! that stinks. I declare open season on all rodents... skunks, groundhogs, raccoons etc. They all do well to be inoculated with a little Pb while in the garden.
Old June 23, 2014   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Paul did they eat just the fruit or everything? If it was just the fruit I would lean towards it being rats. They will decimate a pepper crop and keep coming back every night til you kill them.

Bill
I never thought about rats or mice eating crops. We have big fat lazy ones in a nearby barn. They build nests in the old metal desks we use to work on cars and the tractor. I'm setting Rat traps in the morning!
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #11
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Afew years back, a deer munched some of my tobasco plants.That was the bad part. The godd part was that they came back as much better plants. I learned that bad can sometimes turn out good.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #12
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Paul, Please PM me your mailing address. Let me mail you some pepper plants. You have helped many. It is your time to receive.

Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #13
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Nice offer, Dutch! I love the pay it forward mentality of the gardeners on this forum!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #14
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxwindjammer View Post
Nice offer, Dutch! I love the pay it forward mentality of the gardeners on this forum!
Yep, and I would think that he will be busy with the 4th of July Brownville Freedom Run again this year. So I hope that sending him some pepper plants this year would be one less thing he would have to be concerned about. He does a lot here at Tomatoville and it appears that he also does a lot for his hometown of Brownville Nebraska.
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Dutch that is awesome of you And Paul, I hope you find a rabbit recipe that calls for some nice peppers
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote