Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 10, 2019   #46
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've ordered from them a few times and never had an issue, but I'm often only interested in getting 1 or 2 plants to trial and didn't keep track of germination rates. I know that I've never had any that didn't germinate at all or that weren't true to type. My order went in on the evening of 12/2 and the seeds arrived 12/7!

Last edited by kath; December 10, 2019 at 11:14 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2019   #47
JoParrott

I have been ordering from them for 2 years and have had very good experience.
Old December 10, 2019   #48
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I have placed one order with S&S since they carry a good number of Tokita Sun series tomatoes - SunCherry*2, SunGold, SunGreen, SunChocola, SunPeach, Tomatoberry - and their prices & shipping are reasonable. The order was handled promptly. When the order arrived there was an issue with one seed pack, and once contacted, S&S immediately rectified the issue. Varieties have all been true, and in typical Tokita fashion, germination rates have been good.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2019   #49
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Lots of good seed sources on this forum. I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but I've placed some good sized orders on Seeds N Such the last couple of years with great success. I like them because they usually have most of the varieties I'm looking for which keeps me from having to shop many different web pages, plus they always ship quickly and accurately. Their shipping charges are very reasonable also.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019   #50
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I only use Tomatofest for seed to keep my Varieties pure for Historical Propose. I ordered Hot Peppers from Seeds and Such to grow beside the Native American Hot Peppers to see if they were the some we use here at Angel Field. They were Substituted without warning, each year. The one I farm with is a Native American secret that I cannot releases.

Are they really from South Carolina?
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2019   #51
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
I only use Tomatofest for seed to keep my Varieties pure for Historical Propose. I ordered Hot Peppers from Seeds and Such to grow beside the Native American Hot Peppers to see if they were the some we use here at Angel Field. They were Substituted without warning, each year. The one I farm with is a Native American secret that I cannot releases.

Are they really from South Carolina?

Apparently, the reputation of Tomatofest has improved over the years. For many years, some folks on this site and other sites claimed Tomatofest sometimes renamed some old varieties to indicate they were new varieties discovered by Tomatofest. It did create some confusion with growers who were not sure if they received and grew old or newly discovered varieties.

I ordered from them a few times and never had a problem. I did receive some free seeds from them which I grew out. I believe they were called Daphnes Gold or something like that. I happened to be growing KBX that year and the free seeds produced fruit and plants absolutely identical to the KBX fruit and plants. Like the KBX, they produced great tomatoes abundantly and they were free so I had no complaint.

Last edited by DonDuck; December 14, 2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old December 14, 2019   #52
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Apparently, the reputation of Tomatofest has improved over the years. For many years, some folks on this site and other sites claimed Tomatofest sometimes renamed some old varieties to indicate they were new varieties discovered by Tomatofest. It did create some confusion with growers who were not sure if they received and grew old or newly discovered varieties.

I ordered from them a few times and never had a problem. I did receive some free seeds from them which I grew out. I believe they were called Daphnes Gold or something like that. I happened to be growing KBX that year and the free seeds produced fruit and plants absolutely identical to the KBX fruit and plants. Like the KBX, they produced great tomatoes abundantly and they were free so I had no complaint.
I Order Tomatofest Hillbilly Heirloom Tomatoes Seeds. My project next years is to Grow out the Hillbilly and my Hawaiian Pineapple Heirloom Seeds I received from them in 2003 on my different farming lots for a taste difference. The Hillbilly are bigger than the Hawaiians Tomatoes as I grow them 10 years ago.
Old December 16, 2019   #53
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I Order Tomatofest Hillbilly Heirloom Tomatoes Seeds. My project next years is to Grow out the Hillbilly and my Hawaiian Pineapple Heirloom Seeds I received from them in 2003 on my different farming lots for a taste difference. The Hillbilly are bigger than the Hawaiians Tomatoes as I grow them 10 years ago.

I've grown both. I thought the Hawaiian Pineapple was a good variety and the Hillbilly was also good, but I don't remember it as well as the HP. I think my seed also came from Tomatofest. I did receive an email from them today giving me a heads up on a seed sale. I've pretty much reverted to growing hybrids due to improved disease resistance and overall fruit quality in my growing zone. Tomatofest doesn't sell hybrid seeds.

I also seem to remember the Hawaiian Pineapple didn't store well after it ripened.

Last edited by DonDuck; December 16, 2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old December 18, 2019   #54
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've grown both. I thought the Hawaiian Pineapple was a good variety and the Hillbilly was also good, but I don't remember it as well as the HP. I think my seed also came from Tomatofest. I did receive an email from them today giving me a heads up on a seed sale. I've pretty much reverted to growing hybrids due to improved disease resistance and overall fruit quality in my growing zone. Tomatofest doesn't sell hybrid seeds.

I also seem to remember the Hawaiian Pineapple didn't store well after it ripened.
I grow 2 different Hawaiian Heirloom Seeds; One from Tomatofest and one from the Hawaiian Native Americans people. The one from the Hawaiians Natives has a fruity taste but looks like the Hillbillies Heirloom and the Hawaiian Heirloom Tomatoes I grow from Tomatofest are the Heirlooms grown across the United states for over 150 years that taste of a pineapple but are pure orange in colors with highlights. The Heirloom Tomatoes seeds i get from Tomatofest is the same ones I received from 'The Late Great Carolyn Male. So that how I know Tomatoefest Heirloom Tomatoes are true in-fact.

I gave the Hillbillies to some neighbors each years and sell them. So this year I will be studying the difference between them to list both on my website. Since the neighbors loved them so much I must include them both. It do seem that the Hillbillies are bigger with more of a yellow color with pure red on the bottom. I sell out of my Hawaiian Tomatoes seeds each year and sell the Hillbillies at our market during summer. since we finally replaced our farming equipment lost in 2016 flooding; I want a Big Grand Reopening. Amen!!!!
Old December 18, 2019   #55
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Heirloom Vegetables have never been genetically altered, and better nutrients to your body. At the same times farming secrets and knowledge to farm them are very important. That's why I sell out early. It's hard work but must be done. I sel out of my Hawaiian Pineapple seeds early and I sell out my Hillbillies fresh produce as it is such a Beautiful Tomato many don't care about the name.
Old December 30, 2019   #56
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Heirloom Vegetables have never been genetically altered, and better nutrients to your body.
Fake news here. Heirlooms are genetically stable and don't throw "too many" contaminants of the offspring from the different other crosses that were used to make them in the 1st place. People act like Heirlooms are the original plant put there by God... not so!
Better Nutrients? OK, a certain nutrient quality can possibly be bred in by crossing and selective breeding to certain 'heirloom' strains ... but being a heirloom really doesn't mean better nutrients. Hybrids today are more geared toward high production, quick ripening, longer shelf life, etc, so credit given to the work behind development of an heirloom. There are many hybrids that don't fit this mold though and are bred for better flavor and nutrition. Just remember, today's heirlooms were all hybrids once.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2019   #57
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I think Mrs. Justice only means she believes her "heirlooms" are stable. They may be stable for seed saving.