Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old March 7, 2008   #1
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Default Bicentennial for War of 1812

I am interested in researching food issues circa 1812 as we (USA and Canada) approach the Bicentennial. If anyone is working on this or could point me to resources, that would be much appreciated. Am particularly interested in obtaining appropriate food and grain crop varieties to grow.

Ta in advance.
Jennifer, on the 'winning' side
Old March 7, 2008   #2
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdntomato View Post
Ta in advance.
Jennifer, on the 'winning' side

Jennifer, I don't know if I'm going down the right path here, but the first thing I thought of were books either written during that era, or books that may have historical references to that era.

The three that immediately came to my mind, which I own, are:

1) Roughing it in the Bush (or, Forest Life in Canada)

by Susanna Moodie

- she didn't come to Canada until 1830, but I imagine the food crops would be similar. I'm not sure what specific references might be in the book - I'd have to thumb through it.

2) The Molsons Their Lives & Times 1780-2000

by Karen Molson

- the history of the Molson Brewery family from England to Canada - tons of accurate historical records - again I would have to look up any food/crop references, if any

3) Canada - A Portrait in Letters 1800-2000

by Charlotte Gray

- actual letters from immigrants, etc. to their families - again, not sure if there are any crop references.

Kim
Old March 8, 2008   #3
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Kim, thanks. I have tons of period reads, but what I am looking for are named crop varieties. Moodie is wonderful but not for what I'm seeking. I don't know the Molson book. I'll look especially at that because I'm forming a heritage farming collective which includes someone doing heritage grains used in brewing--a HUGE financial base for this region historically. Oh, the irony of coming up with a homebrewed Molson's, eh? More likely barley wines in truth. And rye whiskey. Someone else is doing period potatoes and possible someone raising period poultry, if we can source correct varieties and breeds. Major dollars from heritage, economic development and tourism are being pooled to ensure a significant bang goes off from 2012-14.

Gray can be a formidable historian so will check that citation out too.

Ta muchly!
Jennifer
Old March 8, 2008   #4
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Your project sounds fascinating, Jennifer. If you have the time, can you elaborate here as to what it is all about, how you got involved, etc?
Old March 11, 2008   #5
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default Contacts

We homeschool and I get information like this all the time from living reinactment groups,Indian tribes,and college prof.s also ask for the town historian at the library and contact you chamber of commerce or local museums,they are so helpful to anyone willing to listen to them!!!! We google too and most of the time find what were looking for,old medical text also have under medicine herbs used during that time period.
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2008   #6
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default google

I just googled it and got a ton of info:I just put in information on herbs and plant sof the 1812 era,:
www.lewis-clark.org
www.historicalnovelsociety.org/plants

Just for a start
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote