Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 3, 2017   #1
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot and spicy tomato

I have just read that tomatoes have capsicin genes that hot chili peppers have that makes them hot.
http://www.burn-blog.com/7956/capsic...d-in-tomatoes/

Any ideas how to turn on that genes to make a spicy tomato?
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2017   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

There has been work and research done for many years to make a "hot tasting" tomato. If you go Capsaicin gene in tomatoes you'll get ll kinds of research from several different countries.

I don't think so far anybody has gotten a spicy hot tomato so far, but they have gotten a pungent flavor. Pungent doesn't even sound good to me. Give me good ole fresh tomato and some mayo. : )

Here, might be some interesting reading for you.
https://www.google.com/patents/WO2016142929A2?cl=en
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The Poblano is considered pungent especially around the stem area, it is my favorite part.

I honestly dont think my mind could handle a hot tasting tomato.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #4
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

I think they should totally activate those and see what happens! I imagine this would involve the new CRISPR technology therefore they would not need to introduce any transgenic DNA but instead could just repair or reactivate dormant or inactive genes.

I think similarly it would be really cool to reactivate the genes which code for hind limbs in Whales, Manatees, and Snakes since they all show vestigial hind limbs from their hip bones showing that they once had some sort of limbs. They did research and found gaps in the genes therefore leaving broken genes that code for that region and are now evolutionarily inactive. It would be fascinating to reactivate these on a whale and see if the limbs that grow would be either legs or rear flippers.
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote