Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 3, 2012   #31
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
This is my first year growing Inchelium Red softneck. I planted in early December. No scapes, but the greens are really tall (3') and starting to turn. Is it possible that I should harvest so soon? It never got below 25º this winter, but also hasn't been warm at all.
I'd really appreciate some advice.

j
ir is an artichoke type softneck, softnecks don't send up scapes. sometimes softnecks have bubils grow in the stalk, i have seen this just about every time i grow softnecks. my artichoke, simonetti, isn't doing that... yet.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #32
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I now have two large bags of scapes stashed in the fridge waiting to be turned into pesto. Within the next few days I should be able to harvest the remaining German White and Music scapes. The other two are just starting to send up scapes.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #33
Iva
Tomatovillian™

So, being a first time garlic grower, my question would be:
How long after you see scapes, can you harvest your garlic? Plus, I'm interested in harvesting elephant garlic, as that one is about to flower. Do I let it flower or remove the stalks? If I let it flower, will it produce seeds?
Thanks all, rhis is a great thread, I've learned a lot already
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #34
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Here in the PNW we don't get scapes until mid June and harvest is usually mid August. I don't harvest until at least the first four leaves from the bottom are brown. Since softnecks like Inchelium do not have scapes it is important to pay attention to the brown leaves. It does not hurt to pull one to see if they are ready.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #35
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Alex. That's just what I needed!

jane
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #36
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I've been removing scapes for weeks.

I think I have 60 varieties, so the documentation (on which have had scapes) is poor.

Last week, I rushed out to dig up Asiatics and Turbans.

I was shocked to see that Blossom had not yet divided. I dug up medium rounds.

The Asiatics were also not as large as last year; definitely smaller then what I had planted.

Our winter was very mild and I've read that this can have adverse effects on the garlic. I am too new at this to know...

But, I know that last year I harvested late and the Asiatics were larger - huge.

I am now thinking that attention to leaf browning and then GENTLE soil removal (just enough to check on bulb size) without root disturbance is the best way to determine when to harvest.

Since I am still developing my stock for my garden, I am not horribly sad that the blossom had not finished, but I hope to learn from this mistake!
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2012   #37
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

my garlic is scaping but im not sure if i should cut them now or i think i read somewhere they have to loop twice.. also not sure if i should remove the mulch now its been a typically very wet spring
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2012   #38
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Not all will loop twice just the rocomboles. I remove mine after about a week. The earlier you remove them the larger the bulb, the later you remove them the bulb will be smaller but keep longer. Remove the mulch if it is too wet and if it is thick, over an inch, otherwise if the stalks are nice and straight I wouldn't bother with removing the mulch.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2012   #39
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

yu velki that means im ready to have some scape pesto tonight over some rice .. my stalks arw nice straight and thick i just cant wait for a few weeks when i can roast some garlic
Old June 17, 2012   #40
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I never looked before and would notice them the end of June, but have been curious about when they start from reading this thread. Mine just starting putting up scapes. I looked Thursday and no scapes. I look again on Saturday and all the hardnecks have 6 inches of scape and stem. They sure grow quick!
Old June 19, 2012   #41
kath
Tomatovillian™

So yesterday I harvested the Asiactic and Artichokes and they were definitely ready- some a bit too much. I looked in my spotty records and normally harvest hardnecks before the end of June, so I don't think things are too different here this year.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012   #42
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I've been harvesting for a few weeks now. All the Asiatics and Turbans are out. I pulled a few Rocamboles yesterday. I have been using the leaves as a guide, but the scorching weather/little rain combo has hastened the leave browning. Overall, some nice sized bulbs, but a lot are undersized. Estonian Red, which were 3"+ monsters last year, are only around 2".
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012   #43
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
I've been harvesting for a few weeks now. All the Asiatics and Turbans are out. I pulled a few Rocamboles yesterday. I have been using the leaves as a guide, but the scorching weather/little rain combo has hastened the leave browning. Overall, some nice sized bulbs, but a lot are undersized. Estonian Red, which were 3"+ monsters last year, are only around 2".
I tried using the leaves as a guide but it didn't seem clear enough to me how to count brown vs. yellow vs. yellowing to come up with a %, so I started to check them at a point that I thought was early- turns out it really wasn't. I've checked all the rest just to make sure they're ok and I think they can all still stay in for a bit longer to size up a bit. We don't have any big rains forecasted and even if we do I think I can cover them temporarily.

Since the varieties are all new-to-me and this is the first time growing them here, I'm happy with the size of the heads I pulled and it's always even more fun harvesting new varieties of underground growers.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012   #44
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad it's been a good experience. I enjoy it for the same reason - one day you have a dying stalk of a plant and the next you have this beautiful head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I tried using the leaves as a guide but it didn't seem clear enough to me how to count brown vs. yellow vs. yellowing to come up with a %, so I started to check them at a point that I thought was early- turns out it really wasn't. I've checked all the rest just to make sure they're ok and I think they can all still stay in for a bit longer to size up a bit. We don't have any big rains forecasted and even if we do I think I can cover them temporarily.

Since the varieties are all new-to-me and this is the first time growing them here, I'm happy with the size of the heads I pulled and it's always even more fun harvesting new varieties of underground growers.

kath
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2012   #45
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

i really like growing garlic and want to expand my varieties this fall.. can anyone reccomend a reputable garlic dealer with good selection.. i ordered from fedco last yr and they were excessively expensive i think for 2 lbs it ended up costimg me $56.00 with shipping and i didnt even get what i ordered