Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 9, 2016   #1
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Default Preventing Thrips?

Last year I got hit badly with thripps. I am looking to do what I can to take any preventive measures if I can. Any threads or ideas are appreciated if anyone has any. Help?
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

After being totally wiped out by thrips 2 years ago i went and bought beneficial nematodes. I sprayed the whole garden, yard, and neighbors yard you name it i sprayed it. Last year i had no thrips and did not lose one plant to tswv.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you have any other than tomato flowers(blooms/nectar)at or in the yard before your maters set theirs, a good preventative are Lady Bugs.Ladybugs need nectar/insect eggs as food for themselves and the eggs they lay next to other insect infestations.Also some other predators,this info from UCDAVIS.

Biological control
Minute pirate bugs (Orius spp.), green lacewings (Chrysopa and Chrysoperla spp.), and several species of predatory mites naturally help to control myoporum thrips. However, damage can still be severe even when beneficials are present.

Last edited by kurt; January 10, 2016 at 08:08 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think it is rather comic you sprayed the neighbors yard.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2016   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I think it is rather comic you sprayed the neighbors yard.

Worth
Im on less than a quarter acre and i bought the acre size amount of beneficial nematodes. Plus the neighbor never cuts down his weeds so his yard is a breeding ground for thrips. I did him a favor actually
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old January 10, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Im on less than a quarter acre and i bought the acre size amount of beneficial nematodes. Plus the neighbor never cuts down his weeds so his yard is a breeding ground for thrips. I did him a favor actually
I had a kid neighbor like that years ago.
I would mow and weed eat around his junk and he would say I was going to do that.
No you weren't dont worry about it I trying to run the grass hoppers off.

worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #7
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I had some a few years ago. Not an infestation but I saw some on tge leaves whenbi took pictures and zoomed in. Started using yellow sticky fly traps and havent had them since.

Does anyone know if diatomaceous earth kills beneficials like ladybugs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
I had some a few years ago. Not an infestation but I saw some on tge leaves whenbi took pictures and zoomed in. Started using yellow sticky fly traps and havent had them since.

Does anyone know if diatomaceous earth kills beneficials like ladybugs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DE will kill almost any insect and ladybugs are no exception. I waited to apply it last year after my ladybugs had mostly left the garden and weren't doing their job anymore. It seems my ladybugs almost always leave the garden as soon as it starts getting hot down here.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #9
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

heirloomtomatoguy: where did you buy your nematodes? I saw this the other day. It says it is for fungus gnats and thrips:
http://www.gardeners.com/buy/gnat-gu...=thrip&start=3
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #10
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
heirloomtomatoguy: where did you buy your nematodes? I saw this the other day. It says it is for fungus gnats and thrips:
http://www.gardeners.com/buy/gnat-gu...=thrip&start=3
I ordered mine online from Arbico Organics. I looked around and for as many as i needed they had the best deal for the triple threat against just about every soil born insect. They also sell all types of beneficials and other great items.
http://www.arbico-organics.com/
Old January 11, 2016   #11
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Beneficial Nematodes sound excellent.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #12
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Nematodes helped me significantly, I also got rid of a old, sick, rose bush infected with witch's broom that was a breeding ground for thrips. I couldn't get rid of them completely due to neighbors but saw a huge improvement.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #13
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Met52, time to die, virus infested rats with wings.
Old March 14, 2016   #14
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Yeah im going to hit every last living thing in my garden and yard with DE. I bought a 40lb bag and a Dustin Mizer, no rain in the forcast for at least 10 days, so tonight after work its on. I have not yet seen the no good plant killers but i did see spider mites. Death to thrips and spider mites!
Old March 14, 2016   #15
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Yeah im going to hit every last living thing in my garden and yard with DE. I bought a 40lb bag and a Dustin Mizer, no rain in the forcast for at least 10 days, so tonight after work its on. I have not yet seen the no good plant killers but i did see spider mites. Death to thrips and spider mites!
I've been holding off on the regimen due to the rains, today at dusk will be clobbering time.

Neem/DE.

kill the spider mites with unkindness