Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old March 19, 2006   #1
TexasTomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving Seed

I have a purple tomatillosomeone sent. What did you do to save seeds from these? Do they need to be fermented?

Thanks
TexasTomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2006   #2
Reign
Tomatovillian™

paraphased from From Seed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth

...The paper husks are removed and placed in a blender with enough water to cover them. When the fruits are totally blended, empty contents into a large bowl. Add enough water to double the mixture. Stir vigorously and allow the good seeds to settle at the bottom. Gently pour off the debris and hollow seeds. Add more water and repeat process until only clean seeds and water remain. Pour cleans seeds into a strainer. Wipe the bottom of the strainer on a towel to remove as much moisture as possible. Dump the seeds onto a glass or ceramic dish to dry.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #3
Organic_Nut
Tomatovillian™

I would think the blender would grind up the seeds and destroy them.
Organic_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I would think the blender would grind up the seeds and destroy them.

But it doesn't, for tomatillos and other kinds of fruits and berries.

Suzanne Ashworth's book From Seed to Seed is considered the seed savers Bible, if you will, and she has perhaps more experience with seed saving of so many different kinds of types/varieties than anyone I know of.

If you're into seed saving in general you really should consider buying that book.
Old May 22, 2006   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

The blender method may work, but I tried it once and it made such a mess to have to clean up that I'll never use it again for tomatillos. Why bother?

I just cut the tomatillo in half and use a spoon to scoop out the pith and seeds into a cup. Then I added just enough water to float the mess and let it ferment same as tomato pulp. I thought it stunk even better than fermented tomato pulp in fact.

My seeds came out perfectly clean just like tomato seeds only not as dark.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2008   #6
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I thought I would note something about the blender method.

I was at a party over the weekend and I noticed in a flower bed 1/2 dozen or so tomatillo plants and I asked the owner where he got the seeds? He said, they must have spilled some salsa or something at one of his parties a few years ago, because they came up on there own.

Now I know how he makes the salsa, first the tomatillos are boiled then blended with spices. I wouldn't recommend boiling them first, but they appear to handle that. So blending must not hurt them.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote