Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 7, 2015   #16
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I would say about 10 gallons. Not sure. The other large tomato on the right is a pink Berkeley tie dye in the same size pot. In a case like this, the pot is just something to hold the roots. Pretty well all the nutrients past seedling stage come from fert. The potting mix is reAlly just there as a matrix for the roots and something to retain moisture. It's a myth that tomatoes need huge root systems. That's only true if they need to go in search of nutrients. Think hydroponics. Same idea.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #17
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

A plant will only be stressed if it's not getting what it needs. You can grow tomatoes with no soil at all, think hydroponics. No full size potted tomato can get all it needs from the potting mix without supplemental feeding. Think of the potting mix as mainly a matrix to hold the roots and the plant upright. I Supply the rest. It's not for everyone, it takes work but it can be done. That pot at most is 10 gallons I would say. The other large plant on the right is an 8 foot pink Berkeley tie dye. Same size pot.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #18
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Oh I don't know, I don't think these look too stressed.

Would each plant do better in a separate pot? maybe but There were more cherries on my "cherry tree" than most people would want. It can be done but as I said earlier, they are high maintenance, requiring daily watering and regular fertilizer. The Plant on the left against the lattice consists of 2 different color cherries in one pot. In this case, super snow white and Dr. Carolyn pink from 2013. For reference, that lattice is not quite 7 feet.
Gardening rules are made to be broken. Do what you want
KarenO
Day-em those look nice!
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2015   #19
gregory
Tomatovillian™

I didn't want to waste the plants. I found a couple of friends that want a few of the extra cherry tomatoes. I know from experience one plant in a ten gallon pot produces a lot of foliage and vines. Although I was using miracle grow which I feel like over feeds the plants. I got a good amount of tomatoes. This year I went with the evergreen products from lowes. Not sure if this is sold throughout the country. They have products soil conditioner, composted organic humus, compost and manure, and finally mini bark nuggets. I mix these together and save $$$ vs buying miracle grow or any other potting soil.

I did this with broccoli and it worked well.
Old March 7, 2015   #20
Gwendolyn
Tomatovillian™

I have a pack of tomato seeds called Tricolor Cherry, Garden Candy, yellow, red and orange, extra early, bite size. I plan on having some fun by putting one of each in a large pot. If you want a few let me know. I did the same with three Hibiscus plants and they look great!
Gwendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #21
Elagrow
Tomatovillian™

I have 3 Cherry toms growing in 2x 3 gallon nursery pot right now, with ocean forest, and feeding them GH Floranova bloom and grow with Rapid Start. They are about 3.5ft tall, and several flower sites, and several tomatoes also. I got them in a tent with several other plants under a 600w hurtilux super hps right now... and they are doing great, I will try to post some pics later if I get the chance.