Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old April 30, 2011   #1
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Default Fox Cherry RL

I got some SASE seeds from Wintersown this year and my Fox Cherry plants have come up RL. They are much less serrated than my other RL plants but are not PL. All descriptions I have seen have listed it as a PL cherry. Not sure if I want to use valuable space for these if they are not the real thing.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
I got some SASE seeds from Wintersown this year and my Fox Cherry plants have come up RL. They are much less serrated than my other RL plants but are not PL. All descriptions I have seen have listed it as a PL cherry. Not sure if I want to use valuable space for these if they are not the real thing.
Few folks list it in the SSE YEarbooks , it was more frequently listed years ago but not lately, so I went to Google and read lots and lots of links b'c Tania doesn't have much to say about it either other than to say that it was a development of Tim Peters of Peters Seed and Research, now defunct, so it isn't an heirloom variety nor a Legacy variety either.

I read many of those Google links and yes, some say PL and some don't mention leaf form at all.

If it's RL from Trudi then it probably means she was sent crossed seeds and is careful to note at her site that wrong seeds can happen b'c the persons sending her seeds may or may not have bagged blossoms or grow by isolation. Just guessing, but most folks don't do either.

So assuming it's PL I wouldn't bother taking up valuable place for those RL's. not knowing what they might give.

Just thought I'd note that in my checking those Google links I saw taste remarks from outstanding to bland, would never grow it again.
Old April 30, 2011   #3
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. I was aware that she gets many seeds donated so I was also guessing it was a cross. Any other suggestions for a PL cherry?
Old April 30, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
Thanks Carolyn. I was aware that she gets many seeds donated so I was also guessing it was a cross. Any other suggestions for a PL cherry?
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...egory:Tomatoes

Using the above link you can link to cherry tomatoes and then link to PL varieties and see if there are any cross matches.

I've grown a lot of cherries but the only one I remember this Saturday afternoon that's PL and which I like a lot is the variety Galina's Yellow which has deep gold cherries with what I think is superb taste.

Others may have other suggestions.
Old May 5, 2011   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year. Seeds from Baker Creek and mine were RL. Most sources I have seen list it as RL. I saw one listing for it as PL. There are other large cherries I like much better though, Pink Ping Pong, for instance. And Galina's is excellent, as well, as Carolyn has already mentioned.
Old May 5, 2011   #6
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

no research access to Tatiana's from here but I believe another to add is Yellow Perfection...there are others.
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post
no research access to Tatiana's from here but I believe another to add is Yellow Perfection...there are others.
Yellow Perfection is a round yellow and is PL but most who list it in the SSE YEarbooks say 2-4 oz fruits from the quick look that I took in a few of those Yearbooks. And I don't consider that size to be a cherry tomato.

And yes, there are others, but I go for the best tasting cherries, when I can, and not specifically for PL cherry varieties although in general I do like growing PL varieties.
Old May 6, 2011   #8
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Yellow Submarine... does a pear shape still qualify as a cherry tomato?
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlacm View Post
Yellow Submarine... does a pear shape still qualify as a cherry tomato?
I've never considered the small red and yellow pears to be cherry tomatoes b'c they aren't cherry shaped.
Old May 6, 2011   #10
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

I decided to grow out one of the Fox crosses even though I don't have room. My curiosity is getting the better of me.
Old May 16, 2011   #11
erlyberd
Tomatovillian™

My Fox Cherry from Trudi is RL as well. Don't recall seeing it as a PL.
erlyberd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011   #12
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

When I first searched for it I saw it listed somewhere as a rare PL cherry. Since then I have seen it listed as RL from more reliable sources. Glad I did not chuck it.