Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old June 22, 2015   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic Scapes

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?JYAFL 14 June 2015 Garlic Scapes.
The garlic is at the producing scape stage, which is the curly stem which produces bulbils at the end if allowed to mature.The scapes may be cut off and used at this stage. Also I don’t particularly enjoy the scapes in cookery. There is some reports that larger cloves form if the scapes are removed. I have encountered no evidence of this. I let the bulbils mature until the main bulb is harvested. Experience has indicated that larger cloves form if the cloves are allowed to mature until the skin of the bulbs just starts to burst. In other words storage time is increased, since the cloves can dry more thoroughly. Also shown in the pictures is two rows of elephant garlic, first time grown, and a row of bulbils planted in 2014.The crop will be harvested about the end of July.The main garlic is from my own saved bulbs from the 2014 crop. The elephant garlic was purchased from the supermarket.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #2
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Very nice picture Durgan. I have some scapes on my garlic. I was not sure if I wanted to snip off the scapes and just let them do their thing, or take some off to cook with. Since I have not cooked with scapes before, I am curious to how they flavor and enhance dishes. I might try just a few in a pasta dish..

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; June 23, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #3
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

I try to pull the scapes out if I plan on eating them. The light green stem that pulls out of the stalk is much more tender than the part that is out of the stalk, they can get pretty fibrous. We like to sauté them with some soy sauce. Had some on our hamburgers the other night, were quite tasty.
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2015   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Half of my scapes were harvested a week ago, and the remaining ones were picked yesterday. Later this week most will be turned into garlic scape pesto.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #5
staubinn
Tomatovillian™

I always thought you had to remove the scapes so the bulb itself would grow larger. What does everyone plant in the garlic patch after you harvest the garlic? I hate to just see the plot do nothing, but am not an experienced enough gardner to know what would have enough time to grow in my zone 5 yard.
staubinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic Scapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by staubinn View Post
I always thought you had to remove the scapes so the bulb itself would grow larger. What does everyone plant in the garlic patch after you harvest the garlic? I hate to just see the plot do nothing, but am not an experienced enough gardner to know what would have enough time to grow in my zone 5 yard.

I don't really care if removing the scapes helps the garlic or not, I only know that my family and I absolutely LOVE garlic scape pesto and to make it, you need to pick the scapes!😄😄😄

After the garlic is harvested, you can plant anything that will produce before first frost. I usually go with a second planting of things such as lettuce, zucchini, kale, bush beans, basil.

Last edited by Father'sDaughter; June 29, 2015 at 11:51 PM.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2015   #7
staubinn
Tomatovillian™

Default garlic

Thanks, that does help. I have a rabbit family living nearby but garlic is one thing that they don't eat. If anyone knows what else will grow fast without being eaten up by hungry rabbits let me know. They even ate hobinaro peppers! Maybe was the woodchuck!