Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 24, 2016   #16
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazeofslate View Post
>>>> Due to French law, this pepper cannot be sold under this name if it's grown outside of the Espelette area (AOC, or "controlled designation of origin") ....
Just like Cognac and Champagne ;-)
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #17
Gazeofslate
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Then again, it's not really Cognac or Champagne if it's not crafted in Cognac or in Champagne... Which both happen to be in France ! I know, I know...

If you like Cognac, you've got to try Pineau des Charentes which is a liquor made from wine and Cognac. But anyways, we're going a bit off-topic there !
Gazeofslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #18
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Yes I LOVE Cognac but never had that aperitif, so will look for it.
Old May 24, 2016   #19
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I know this thread is quite old but if you're looking for a balance between sweetness and heat, it doesn't get any better than a piment d'Espelette if you ask me. Due to French law, this pepper cannot be sold under this name if it's grown outside of the Espelette area (AOC, or "controlled designation of origin") so another name for this cultivar is Gorria.
Not as hot as a Jalapeño, but it has a pleasant spiciness to it and a rather unique taste.
http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Pime...-P5247443.aspx

Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #20
Gazeofslate
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
Well, yes it's nothing new. Some people are still going to disregard laws and will still sell it under a name that is protected... And he's wrong about something. He assimilate it with Spain, and yes part of the Pays Basque is in Spain, but that pepper is grown in the French part of the Pays Basque. Same thing with the Poivron doux des landes/Piment doux des lands (same thing, different names).Les Landes are a French département.
Oh and his suggestion of roasting or stuffing the piment d'Espelette... That's bollocks.
It's usually either made into strings of dry peppers, ground/flaked and used in the same way you'd use paprika, or made into piperade.
If you want seeds, some good French seed sources are kokopelli or la ferme de sainte-marthe (basically the french counterparts of baker creek). Now I have no idea if they'll ship outside of France...
http://www.fermedesaintemarthe.com/A...gorria-nt.aspx

Last edited by Gazeofslate; May 24, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old May 24, 2016   #21
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well, yes it's nothing new. Some people are still going to disregard laws and will still sell it under a name that is protected... And he's wrong about something. He assimilate it with Spain, and yes part of the Pays Basque is in Spain, but that pepper is grown in the French part of the Pays Basque. Same thing with the Poivron doux des landes/Piment doux des lands (same thing, different names).Les Landes are a French département.
Oh and his suggestion of roasting or stuffing the piment d'Espelette... That's bollocks.
It's usually either made into strings of dry peppers, ground/flaked and used in the same way you'd use paprika, or made into piperade.
I deferred to you for the clarification. Thank you. He mentioned using it in Piperade, I think the other suggestions for use were just that, suggestions. Its shape, size and structure are similar to peppers we roast and stuff here in the states.

Thanks for the tidbit Gazeofslate. Any experience with Petit Marseillais?
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #22
Gazeofslate
Tomatovillian™

No, I haven't grown the Petit Marseillais although I've been meaning to. Actually, I was about to order some Petit Marseillais seeds from Sainte-Marthe. It's supposed to be more or less of a small bell pepper with an elongated/irregular shape. I've read a bit about it and asked a few question to Sainte-Marthe about it. Apparently it's usually used in salads. It's supposed to have a sweet, fragrant, aromatic flesh with very little (hints) to no heat at all. It's an orange fleshed variety. I think Roughwood seeds/William woys weaver distributes it in the US if you want to try it.
http://www.fermedesaintemarthe.com/A...illais-ab.aspx

Edit : He does indeed have seeds for it.
http://www.roughwoodseeds.org/product-p/cap070.htm

Last edited by Gazeofslate; May 24, 2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old May 24, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Tell me it aint so.
You mean to tell me you cant get Californian cognac and Marsala from Texas.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #24
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
I deferred to you for the clarification. Thank you. He mentioned using it in Piperade, I think the other suggestions for use were just that, suggestions. Its shape, size and structure are similar to peppers we roast and stuff here in the states.

Thanks for the tidbit Gazeofslate. Any experience with Petit Marseillais?
Petit Marseillais is amazing. I booted all my hot peppers off my grow list just to grow more of this pepper. It's really really good stuffed.

Did I mention it's really good

Last edited by KC.Sun; May 24, 2016 at 08:28 PM.
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2016   #25
KC.Sun
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton1208 View Post
Is there a pepper that has a sweet taste, but is hot? Like a sugary sweet flavor with a kick? Or does this go against everything pepper?

Just kind of a random question. I made cowboy bites I think they're called - sweet pickled Jalapenos - and I love them, which just made me wonder.

Thanks.
If you're looking for other pepper options, piment de bresse is supposed to be really good
KC.Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2016   #26
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Tell me it aint so.
You mean to tell me you cant get Californian cognac and Marsala from Texas.

Worth
We have a local supermarket that insists on putting a big sign "Vidalia" on a bin of sweet onions that are clearly and individually labelled "Peru". In the dead of winter no less, when no vidalias can be found around, as they don't last very long. I brought it up to them and wasted my time.
Old May 26, 2016   #27
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Beaver Dam is a good hot sweet pepper. It's about as hot as an Anaheim.

-Zach
Old May 26, 2016   #28
jhamilton1208
Tomatovillian™

Again.... Thanks for all the help. Next year I have a feeling I'm going to switch from quite a few tomatoes to growing more peppers to try.

Great, another obsession. Lol
jhamilton1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #29
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Mexibell is a hot bell pepper...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #30
shule1

I thought Orange Habaneros were kind of sweet (kind of citrus-like). My pepper that was supposed to be a Carolina Reaper is pretty sweet. It tastes a bit like a cherry when ripe, kind of how some of my sweet peppers did last year.