Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 11, 2013   #16
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Back when I lived in a small apartment, this would have been a dream come true! Three kinds of tomatoes in the space of one? Wow! I could have grown nine varieties of tomatoes on one tiny little patio! Totally cool, indeed!

But having given it some thought, I'll probably just live vicariously through your experiments, admiring them but not attempting them myself. These days, I have enough space for at least one plant per variety, so while the multi-grafts are ridiculously cool, they aren't necessary for me anymore.

The truth is that, I don't know how you keep them all straight! I am obsessive about labeling my seeds and plants so that I don't get them mixed up. Even so, adding in the grafting process with so many different scions, I lost track of which were which a couple of times. There were two plants that I knew were one of two varieties, but I couldn't figure out which.

That's with just one variety per plant! I'm imagining how confusing it would be with three per plant. Nope! That kind of stress might give me a stroke!
I will be putting some thought in to the varieties i will be choosing on the same plant to be able to tell them apart (color, foliage type etc). Also this allows me to single stem prune the multiple variety graft. I will probably be using zip lock bag labeling next year (i think that's what Anne does) around the grafted plant varieties . Sounds good on paper so we will see hehe.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2013   #17
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Does this look like an Abnormally large flower cluster on my Dual variety graft? Can't wait to see what this fruit cluster is going to look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flower_cluster.jpg (418.2 KB, 388 views)
Old August 11, 2013   #18
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Been playing around with bottomless pots to create networks of roots on multiple stems of the same plant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottomless pots.jpg (178.2 KB, 376 views)
Old August 11, 2013   #19
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Your grafts look great!!

I've had a few successful no root grafts and I'm playing around with some cuttings I have, trying to get some grafts going. Some success but mostly failures so far. Have been experimenting with varying light and humidity situations. I want to get a good % of successes with my trials, and then I'll start grafting on the RST 04-105=T rootstock. Just need them to catch up with my Marvel Stripe, NAR, Paul Robeson, and Aunt Ginny's Purple to be the inaugural planting in my new bed! They'll all be single grafts, but I might attempt multiple grafts with the 4 other rootstocks I have going. It is fun to think of various combinations - I think I have 18 new varieties to choose from.

I wanted to mention how I made my plant labels that you referred to. I printed out the names on heavy "card stock" paper I had around. All the names on one or two pages. Then I cut them to size and used the food saver to seal them in! Since the strips were so tiny, I couldn't get the seal close enough to the label holding it in place with my fingers, so I'd hold the things in place with a little piece of scotch tape at either end while I did the seal.

I'm really enjoying following all your new ideas and projects! (And, my!, you're quite the artist, aren't you?).

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2013   #20
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Anne for sharing the plant labeling. I really messed up this year with plant labels so.. I remembered seeing one of your labels on one of your tomato plants and knew I had to do do something similar. Thanks for the drawing compliment lol! Chicken scratch is my term When you going to post some pictures of your new beds and grafts?
Old August 14, 2013   #21
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Fruits are getting larger I am very excited!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3_variety.jpg (336.8 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg another_3_variety.jpg (383.5 KB, 359 views)
Old August 17, 2013   #22
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Anne how do you like NAR? I think Carolyn posted somewhere about it being a massive plant. I was wondering if you would be interested in trading some seeds? I have about 140 varieties. Yup yup... i love tomato seeds
Old August 17, 2013   #23
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't really follow where you made the grafts. On lateral branches ("suckers")?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2013   #24
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture i took this morning. Very good fruit set on the 3 variety grafts. You can easily see the difference in the fruit shape from the ones on the left with the ones on the right. I thought maybe a few of you would find this cool & interesting
I am sure excited! This is Day 63
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3_variety_graft.jpg (380.0 KB, 386 views)
Old August 17, 2013   #25
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

ChrisK - this has never been done before - which is why i titled this an experiment. The graft was done right on to the Leaf/Branch not the sucker. Redbaron brought up some issues since generally leaf branches go through abscission. All the grafts I've done this way has no signs of abscission as far as i can tell. They continue to grow stronger.

Pretty proud of the fact that its still growing very nicely. No signs yet that this is going to fail as fruit has already set. I don't think the other grafters on this forum have noticed what i have done here yet I'd say its definitely in the criteria of a new discovery/breakthrough in tomato grafting lol! At least in my head hehe
Old August 17, 2013   #26
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Not sure what a leaf/branch means. You mean you grafted onto a leaf petiole? Can you post a closeup of exactly where you made the graft at the time of grafting?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old August 17, 2013   #27
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Sorry man I am not a biologist. But here is what i did. Your feedback is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leaf_graft.jpg (234.6 KB, 388 views)
Old August 17, 2013   #28
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

If you grafted onto a petiole then I am a little surprised as well since I think the vasculature is quite different between those organs. Although, petioles can undergo secondary growth in which the vasculature changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Sorry man I am not a biologist. But here is what i did. Your feedback is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (63.8 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (39.7 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by ChrisK; August 17, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old August 17, 2013   #29
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Yes that's what I did. The graft healed in 9 days which was very fast. I showed if few different variations in some of my earlier threads. All worked out great. I will upload some more pics later if your interested.
Old August 17, 2013   #30
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Delerium, congratulations. I am going to try this next year too.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote