Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #61
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Do you spring plant it?
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #62
meganp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Thanks for the info Megan.
Would you say they are at least equal to or better than the Chinese/California white softnecks in the grocery store?
Where did you get your original seed cloves?
Hello again. The Chinese garlic that is sold in NZ are predominantly white bulbed silverskins, have not seen any other varieties. They tend to be relatively small bulbs and haven't knowingly ever used any nor actually purchased any so can't judge - we have good domestically grown garlic if I have to purchase any and been growing my own for the last 10 years or more. We do import US garlic and the California whites that I've seen appear to be artichokes which seem to be closely related to turbans although the artichokes store a bit longer. Flavour wise, the artichokes retain their heat more than the turbans that I grow and the turbans have larger bulbs and the clove configuration is more symmetrical. There are usually only 7 visible outer cloves with 3 or 4 inner layer of cloves in the turbans. The outer cloves are fat rounded wedges whereas the artichoke cloves are more flattened moon/crescent shaped. I was given a couple of turban bulbs years back and I have always allowed the scapes to mature (at least the ones that don't get eaten) and been growing out the bulbils ever since.
meganp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #63
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on a great harvest! And thanks for posting those pics, too. I love how you've developed "the right tool for the job" to facilitate ease of harvest.

Your garlic racks are super and I need to build one of my own for both garlic and onions.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #64
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Do you spring plant it?
No, I plant all of my garlic in the fall.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #65
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Thanks GoDawgs.
We ripped 2x4's to build the frames.
4 pieces to make the rectangle 2'x6' with a 2' piece in the middle for support.

frame.jpg

Stapled 1" chicken wire on top. We built 25 of them, so glad my dad had a staple gun that is powered by an air compressor for that step.

Last edited by PureHarvest; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:01 AM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #66
bower
Tomatovillian™

I found a turban at the supermarket the other day and I bought it to try. It was billed as "fresh garlic" at 4.99/lb, with conspicuous purple stripes and a hardneck stem.

I used it to make chinese food and it didn't add anything to the taste when cooked. Then I grated some up with a rasp into some sour cream and used as a dip for potato chips... quite a strong garlic taste but very different - sort of a low burn with no high notes - but then I got the aftertaste, and wow did it ever linger. It was not really pleasant to me although I love garlic. It was like the breathmint of garlics only not in a really nice way.
I had thought I might try growing some turban but I probably won't, as the taste wasn't great for me and I didn't enjoy the taste developing after I finished eating.

Today I went through my stash of 'getting old' garlic, and found a small bulb that was still very hard. Put the whole thing through a rasp, used half for salad dressing and half mixed with some evoo and rosemary to season cream cheese stuffed toutons. It was a Spanish Roja, and the flavor came through in those quick fried breads really well... a great tasting garlic. Even though they are not billed as long keepers, it seems an immature bulb can keep very well, and seems to be true of other garlics I have grown as well, that they keep better if harvested before full size.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #67
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Had my first sale yesterday to the produce stand down the road from us.
Sold her the 10lb retail box that I came up with.
It's a glossy cardboard box from Uline. Cost me 6 bucks but is reusable. My marketing buddy made the sign.
She sold 5 bulbs before we got done talking.
It's great because she is taking all what I call small bulbs in my head. USDA calls them large I think, which is funny. Anyway, they are all around 1 and 5/8 to 1.75" diameter.
There's 125 bulbs in the 10 lbs.

Retail Garlic Sign.JPG

10 lb garlic box.JPG

Not planning on doing a lot of these, but she is right down the road and I can get rid of my smaller bulbs with her. The majority of my stuff will go to the big CSA buyer.

I'm taking 80 pounds (800 bulbs) to the CSA buyer tonight. 1.75-2" diameter bulbs.
He's also taking a 10lb retail ready box for his store, but it'll be the bigger bulbs in his box.

What a joy and relief to see the process come full circle.

I have some plans and cool stuff I'm doing for 2019 to save time, improve production, reduce physical labor, expand, and get earliness. I will start a new thread in a few weeks.
Old 5 Days Ago   #68
bower
Tomatovillian™

Very nice presentation with the sign and retail ready box! And great looking garlic. Congrats on the success of your scale-up adventure!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #69
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Ya! Congrats! Very well done!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote