Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 20, 2016   #376
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

It was supposed to be 104 degrees over the weekend, but they have downgraded the forecast to mid 90's. (°F
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2016   #377
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes, a heat wave for us here in MI is anything over 88 degrees, and, we have had many days over that so far this summer. More like mid nineties and up this past month alone.. My garden is suffering..
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2016   #378
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Black Futsu winter squash harvest..

Ginny
Sorry to resurrect this topic so much later, Ginny, but I'm having trouble finding information from people who have actually grown black futsu.

How many squash did you get per plant?

I grew a couple vines of supposed black futsu, but my seed was almost certainly crossed. The pumpkins looked nothing like the pictures I've seen, including yours. Mine were much smoother, with only a very slightly lumpy surface and very regular, pumpkin-like ribs, not the deep crevices and warts shown in your photos and other photos. They were fairly dark green and did get that powdery finish and then turn buff, though.

I also got barely 2 fruits on one vine (I think the second will ripen before frost) and one and a half (one will definitely not mature in time) on the other.

I got them from Baker Creek, my first experience with seed from them that wasn't true to type. It can happen even to diligent seed companies, but it's especially disappointing when it happens with a crop that has such a long time investment before results are seen.

Trying to decide whether I want to change seed source and try again.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #379
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gorbelly, sorry for the late response. I do not have as much time to post lately as I would like, but, I did try to respond last week and my reply disappeared for some reason.

For the Black Futsu, I planted three vines per "hill" and got between four to six fruits per vine to start. Some fruit aborted naturally and some fruit were pecked by birds or chickens.. But, I did end up with at least two to three per vine.. I sourced my seeds from Pinetree Garden Seeds last year and they were true to type and had excellent germination.. I have gotten some packs from BC years ago and they were true to seed and germinated well back then. I have ordered from BC for many years and have always been pleased with the seeds and service..However, over the last few years or so, a number of varieties were not true to form and I had germination issues.. So, maybe you did not have the true to type variety.. I absolutely loved the flavor of the Black Futsu and the squash turned out to be a favorite of mine. I did not grow any winter squash this year and certainly missed them..

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; October 25, 2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old October 25, 2016   #380
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much, Ginny. That was very helpful. I'm pretty sure my seed was crossed. It did not end up looking like black futsu, and the vines were weak and puny looking even though other squash vines in the same area were doing great. I'll definitely try this variety again, either next year or the year after, with seed from a different source. I think BC knows there's a problem because there are no reviews of the black futsu at all from this year and they won't publish my review warning of possible crossed seed.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #381
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Harvest 2016

T
Old October 25, 2016   #382
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Thanks so much, Ginny. That was very helpful. I'm pretty sure my seed was crossed. It did not end up looking like black futsu, and the vines were weak and puny looking even though other squash vines in the same area were doing great. I'll definitely try this variety again, either next year or the year after, with seed from a different source. I think BC knows there's a problem because there are no reviews of the black futsu at all from this year and they won't publish my review warning of possible crossed seed.
Your welcome, and glad I could help..I hope you find a reliable source for next season..

Ginny
Old October 25, 2016   #383
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Due to drought, heat and a bit of neglect on my part, these two lovely tomatoes were on the small size, but, were delicious regardless. AMH was more productive (The birds took their fair share of bites on all my tomatoes, unfortunately) but, Pappy Kerns had a fabulous concentrated flavor and packed a real tomato punch. Loved it.. One of my favorite tomatoes this year.. Will give both another place in the garden next season, and that say's a lot since I am downsizing drastically..I appreciate and thank the wonderful T'villers who shared the seed with me..

Ginny

Last edited by barefootgardener; October 25, 2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old October 25, 2016   #384
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Caramel Apple Upside Down Bundt Cake.. The apples I used were the last ones to be picked 0ff of our heirloom apple trees..

Old October 25, 2016   #385
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Is there supposed to be a picture in the last post I cant see a thing?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2016   #386
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

The Arkansas Green Cotton boil is about to burst..

Old October 25, 2016   #387
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Is there supposed to be a picture in the last post I cant see a thing?

Worth
Worth, it is a bundt cake. I can see the picture.
Old October 25, 2016   #388
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Worth, it is a bundt cake. I can see the picture.
I can see your cotton pictuer but not the cake it is totally blank no mystery link or anything.
Old October 25, 2016   #389
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I can see your cotton pictuer but not the cake it is totally blank no mystery link or anything.
Strange.. I can see it on my computer. Are you able to view the other pictures I posted above it? The two tomato pictures?
Old October 25, 2016   #390
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont know what to think I looked back at all of the other pictures and they are there.