Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old February 11, 2013   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default NJ Tomatoes

I have a burning question that is always bothering me. A silly one actually

Why is it that Red Barn, Mule team, etc., are always referred to as bred by Joe Bratka's father and not named with Joe's father's name? I'm sure his father had one .....

Maybe there was a post somewhere that Carolyn mentioned she knew Joe's father and that Joe did send her the seeds to germinate....
Old February 11, 2013   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I have a burning question that is always bothering me. A silly one actually

Why is it that Red Barn, Mule team, etc., are always referred to as bred by Joe Bratka's father and not named with Joe's father's name? I'm sure his father had one .....

Maybe there was a post somewhere that Carolyn mentioned she knew Joe's father and that Joe did send her the seeds to germinate....
I'm not sure why this is in the Legacy Forum and I'm sure Joe's father did have a first name but I never asked Joe and Joe never told me his father's name.I can add that Joe's father died when Joe was very young so it was a surprise to him when he found the seeds in the tool shed.

Carolyn
Old February 12, 2013   #3
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I believe his father's name was Joseph.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #4
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Interesting point! Inquiring minds and all that lol
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2013   #5
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Well, I wasn't sure where to put this post, but being a question relating to the history of some tomatoes, I thought this was the best place. Forgive me if I was mistaken.

I just thought it odd that a tomato wouldn't be listed as being bred by Joe Bratka Sr., instead of folks listing as Joe Bratka's father. Call it OCD lol
Old February 12, 2013   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Well, I wasn't sure where to put this post, but being a question relating to the history of some tomatoes, I thought this was the best place. Forgive me if I was mistaken.

I just thought it odd that a tomato wouldn't be listed as being bred by Joe Bratka Sr., instead of folks listing as Joe Bratka's father. Call it OCD lol
The Joe I knew for so many years clearly could be called Joseph, as in Joesph JR, and one could find that out by doing some Googling as well.

As I said, I never asked Joe his father's name and he never mentioned it to me. After his parents died he's continued to live in the same home by himself. He's never worked b'c of a disability but for sure I'm not going to into that.

All he eversaid was that his father bred all of them and named them, and since I was the first tointroduceall of them I said whatJoe toldme, that his father had bred them and named them for thesimple freasonthat I never knew his father's name was Joephand probably was Joesname aswell

When he sent me seeds, and not just those, the envelopes were stamped all over, and I mean all over, with those rubber stamps that said Farmer Joe.

Not a problem if you considered those varieties to be Legacy varietes, which I don't as noted in the link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxcar_Willie

See when Box Car Willie was born and then think back to what the timeline would be for his father to be breeding tomatoes.

Carolyn
Old February 12, 2013   #7
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for clarifying this, I always wondered about it. I'm glad Joseph Bratka Sr., bred these as I loved Mule Team and am looking forward to growing others of his this year
Old February 17, 2013   #8
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I'm growing red barn this year. I'm excited about it.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote