Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old June 7, 2016   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

In my area, hay is the native fescue grass. If I let my lawn grow, it will eventually be the same stuff in the hay field.

Alfalfa is a farmed crop. It is a luxury food for horses, which are a luxury for rich people, which is good because alfalfa hay is very expensive.

If you grow alfalfa, be prepared for the field to look like a Disney movie about woodland creatures. It's so nutritious that you will draw animals you didn't even know you had.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2016   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSalvage View Post
So what kind of seed would overtake the lawn?

Dandelions 😄😄
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #18
Shapshftr
Tomatovillian™

I don't see why you couldn't plant alfalfa that way. I live in farm country and the seeds from the farmers alfalfa blow into my yard and sprout. Also it is a very fast growing plant and will quickly overcome the grass and kill it, unless you keep it mowed. And if you don't keep it mowed and let it go to seed, you will have alfalfa growing everywhere. Farmers weed kill then till and plant it just to get a good heavy weed free stand of hay.
Shapshftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #19
Susan66
Tomatovillian™

You might try clover, too. Doesn't grow as tall as grass, and little animals love it. My Dad planted white clover as a trap crop for rabbits and woodchucks so they would leave the garden alone. It mostly worked. After he passed, we just let go of mowing the 10 or so acres he maintained. My sister and I will not mow that much. In 5 years much of the former lawn has self seeded into Joe Pye-weed, goldenrod, and asters. In the one section my nephew mows ( maybe twice a year with the tractor and finish mower) it's still hay. Even the wildflower meadows, they recommend mowing at least once a year. Otherwise, in a pretty short time here it will all go back to forest.
Susan
Susan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Some clovers get frigging huge.

Has anyone seen yuchi arrow leaf clover/
I was raised around it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #21
Susan66
Tomatovillian™