Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 13, 2019   #46
zendog
Tomatovillian™

How about Danko for your heart? It is often described as semi determinant and is listed as 61 days on Victory Seeds. I can't speak from personal experience yet, but am growing it this year. Reviews look very good and it has the story of brave Danko who tore out his own heart to save his people... what's not to like.

For an indeterminate heart, I have grown Fish Lake for several years and it is always the earliest large tomato in my garden. It also gets great reviews and I enjoy it and is what I've offered for my local PTA plant sale. I've decided to try some other hearts so am growing Kosovo, Danko and a few others to test this year, but I can definitely recommend Fish Lake for an early productive heart.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019   #47
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Everyone's conditions are different, and actually, every year seems different for me, lol. But Sophies Choice and Azoychka are now my standards for early tomatoes. However, I use them to grow in pots away from the main garden. It allows me to have a few extra plants than I can fit in my small garden, but it also makes them even earlier since the pots warm up faster and are portable enough to move or cover in a cold snap. What might very well make the difference in my experience compared to yours, and an even bigger reason I grow them in pots away from the main garden, is that if I have a big problem that spreads in the main garden where they may touch and all share the same soil, they are isolated from it and I still get some tomatoes. Early, protected, and insurance. So to be honest, I can't really give an opinion on disease resistance in a normal garden.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2019   #48
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I just received another seed order with Chocolate Champion and Sweet Adelaide. I was planning on Dwarf Arctic Rose and Dwarf Velvet Night
Of the 4 Dwarf Tomatoes, I have only grown the Dwarf Arctic Rose. If I was to grow three instead of two, which One would you drop?
Also a tomato that I do not see mentioned often on here is Bulgarian Triumph. It does well here for me but I am wondering if any of you have grown it? I am mulling over whether to add it.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2019   #49
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Everyone's conditions are different, and actually, every year seems different for me, lol. But Sophies Choice and Azoychka are now my standards for early tomatoes. However, I use them to grow in pots away from the main garden. It allows me to have a few extra plants than I can fit in my small garden, but it also makes them even earlier since the pots warm up faster and are portable enough to move or cover in a cold snap. What might very well make the difference in my experience compared to yours, and an even bigger reason I grow them in pots away from the main garden, is that if I have a big problem that spreads in the main garden where they may touch and all share the same soil, they are isolated from it and I still get some tomatoes. Early, protected, and insurance. So to be honest, I can't really give an opinion on disease resistance in a normal garden.
I like mano too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
I just received another seed order with Chocolate Champion and Sweet Adelaide. I was planning on Dwarf Arctic Rose and Dwarf Velvet Night
Of the 4 Dwarf Tomatoes, I have only grown the Dwarf Arctic Rose. If I was to grow three instead of two, which One would you drop?
Also a tomato that I do not see mentioned often on here is Bulgarian Triumph. It does well here for me but I am wondering if any of you have grown it? I am mulling over whether to add it.
Barb
I'd take Choc champ and sweet adelaide. But that's mostly because I prefer the taste of those two over the other two.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2022   #50
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

@BarbamWY any updates on next year's selection list? I loved following your sale choices!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2022   #51
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
@BarbamWY any updates on next year's selection list? I loved following your sale choices!
I have been selling a few plants from my home since Covid and forgone the big sale with vendors at our big county building. Here is my pared down list:
Sungold
Dikovinka
Gardener's Delight
Napoli
Slava
Early Wonder
Mountain Fresh
Chalk's Early Jewel
North Dakota Earlianna
Sheyenne
Legend
Magnus
Stump of The World
Siberian Pink Honey
Black Early
JD's Special C Tex
Sweet Tangerine
Aunt Gerties's Gold
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2022   #52
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Hasn't Covid just changed everything! Your pared down list looks terrific!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote