Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old May 21, 2011   #16
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure the diet makes a lot of difference, but stay with the rabbit.. the goat manure can really get rank... my kids carried two goats in the back of my pickup and that was 2 months ago and it still smells.. whew!
Old May 21, 2011   #17
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

rabbit poop it has been - stirred (not shaken - sorry 007) with a healthy pop of pelleted lime & native sour sand - the initial plants put in last week with this combo are setting fruit already!

Interesting that rabbit poop has more nitrogen than chicken - I thought that is was "burned" plants. Dunno but the plants with rabbit poop seems quite enchante with it - thanks for all the advice!

The goat poop offer stands - but it has to be chipped out with a pickaxe from the barn floor where it is dry & aged & compacted from 4 years ago - the rabbit poop is right next to my uber garden & so easy to shovel up & wheel barrow over - so lazy me, I'm sticking with what works!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011   #18
Rainforest Tom
Tomatovillian™

I Use cow manure and sometimes sheep, as long as you mix it in the soil and let a few rains hit it before you plant, the seedlings seem to do well here for me but it is also very hot here all year long.
Rainforest Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011   #19
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! I was also surprised by the turkey manure being so low in nitrogen..??? don't really understand unless diet really changes things....

stormymater, I'm not familiar with the term "sour sand" what is that stuff? thanks.
Old July 26, 2012   #20
satya
Tomatovillian™

Default Rabbit manuer

Great thread, thanks. The general consensus seems to be that rabbit pellets won't burn plants even if used fresh, however, I found this page that says it will burn plants if not composted first... so, just wondered what anyone's take on this would be? There's a chart near the bottom of the page:

http://www.grow-it-organically.com/npk-fertilizer.html

Thanks
satya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2012   #21
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

My kids had rabbits next to the garden and I just shoveled it between the rows of my tomato plants and had no problem... it was spread fairly thin each time all summer .. it just composted into the soil with each rain ..
Old July 27, 2012   #22
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I've also had excellent results from goat manure. I use to make bottles up with the "berries" in it with water and sell as indoor fertizers. Even though I had this was NOT for human consumption, I called it Nanny berry fert juice. I had to quit because people would come up and want to drink i..... so didn't want to get sued because people can't take the time to read. Excellent fertilizer in my book, as it comes in handy pellets.... easy to spread around...LOL

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote