Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 19, 2015   #1
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Default How to fertilize fruit trees in container.

I am about to change out a container grown Peach tree as it's not doing very good, something wrong with the roots.
Question. How should I fertilize? Add a slow release as I add the mixture? Or should I add it to the top few inches? Or even just sprinkle it under the mulch?
At $50 a time I want to make sure I get it right.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #2
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Bump
Does anyone have an idea?
Old April 21, 2015   #3
troad
Tomatovillian™

beeman,

Not a grower of peaches but first thought is to provide nutrients that won't burn the roots.
If it were mine I would probably mix in bone meal, well composted steer manure, and maybe some alfalfa pellets or rabbit manure with the soil. Then see how the tree does. I would think you could add a time release fertilizer anytime later if you think the tree is underfed. JMO
Old April 21, 2015   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I have Meyers Lemon,Key Lime,Fig,Navel Orange in large terra cotta pots(2x21/2 foot).They do not like wet feet.Two years ago I pulled them out and found a mush of soil(wet and smelly) at the bottoms.I mixed up a batch of a combo of coir,promix,black kow fine bark,and a lot coarse sand.Equal amount of each but 1/3 amount equal to amendment mix of the sand.When transplanting a good rinsing of rootball,light application of water when placing new ball in container.Bottom of container I placed about 6 inches of 1-1/2" coral rock as a drain field.I use a liquid drench(Miracle Grow blue granular mixed) once a week of fertilizer.A cover of pine bark on top of container makes it look good.Granulars work in the open field when regular rain activates and pushes through and is more diluted and does not burn.I have some home made round circular dollies because now they weigh at least 100 pounds each.Let dry out betwwen watering.If you can inspect the oringnal medium the trees came with it might help to replicate.Plastic large containers seem to get to wet over time(no real areation)But the terra cotta at that size are EXPENSIVE!

Last edited by kurt; April 21, 2015 at 11:45 AM. Reason: grammer/spelin
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have found my cacti do better in the terracotta pots if I drill more holes in the sides.

As far as fruit trees just about every one I see does good for maybe a year or and then slowly dies.
I think it is due to root girdling.

Plastic pots to me are useless they break down too fast and crumble up when you try to move them.
They last maybe 3 years here.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #6
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I've got a dwarf cherry tree in a 30 gal Smart Pot. This is the beginning of the third year for this tree. I initially used the 1/3 Compost, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 sphagnum peat mix of Square Foot Gardening for soil. Since then I have added composted leaf mulch. I feed it Texas Tomato Food occasionally, plus compost tea sometimes, as well as MG sometimes. I think the Smart Pot is good for the roots and definitely good for the drainage.
I am woefully remiss in any good discipline regarding feeding. I am hoping this will be a good year for fruit. The tree has improved steadily over time.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2015   #7
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

What zone are you? What variety of peach? How about some background? Too much water can be the kiss of death. My peach trees got fertilized with time release 10-10-10(12-12-12) in the warm part of spring and they lived to be about 16 years old. At 14, they get disease prone and start oozing sap.

If you are going to transplant, rinse the old soil off(since it may be tainted) and plant it into the best soil you can. Peaches aren't great on heavy(clay) soil.

Last edited by dustdevil; April 23, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2015   #8
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
If you are going to transplant, rinse the old soil off(since it may be tainted) and plant it into the best soil you can. Peaches aren't great on heavy(clay) soil.
Not transplanting, renewing the whole container with a new tree, and I do intend to use a container mix.
What I asked was, about where and when to add fertilizer.