Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 22, 2013   #31
Dak
Tomatovillian™

So here is the first trial I did with Mycos/Azos used at transplant. I've been using SeaCrop as a foliar spray every 2 weeks. These are the Corno di Toro peppers, with eggplants that have both been treated with as well.

You can see the growth of the middle back plant really exceeds that of the others, but the second plant treated, (in front, middle column) though very healthy, does not. I was not able to capture the difference in the color green with my camera, but my artist husband agreed that the treated plants were paler green.

Three weeks later
Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2013   #32
RayR
Tomatovillian™

They are all looking good.
Dak, it would be interesting to see the difference in root growth, also any difference in stem thickness?
The variation in plant height doesn't tell much, especially on a small sample of plants. The difference in leaf color is interesting, not sure if it is important in any way. Be careful with the Seacrop, you don't want too much salts getting into the soil from the foliar spray, it can have a negative impact on the microbes.
Did you fertilize the plants, if so with what?

I wasn't concerned with adding mycorrhizae at this point since Happy Frog contains 3 endomycorrhizae species plus beneficial bacteria.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #33
Dak
Tomatovillian™

RayR, I put the plants in pots over the weekend, so no documentation of roots, but there was significantly more root activity on the treated plants.
I was using BioBizz plant food before I up-potted them to the gallon size, I thought Sea-Crop would be a good alternative to BioBizz? From what I understand of Sea-Crop, they've removed 95% of the salt and it is just trace elements.
I had a soil test back in January and have applied a Rx to the soil as advised, so my plan was that once they were in the ground, the NPK would already be there.
Old April 23, 2013   #34
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Sea-Crop is still 12% is Sodium Chloride, aside from its trace mineral content it is not a substitute for a fertilizer with NPK value. I would just be concerned with buildup of salts in a small volume of soil like a pot.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2013   #35
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Ray, I had not considered that.