Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old September 8, 2016   #1
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default My seed propagator...Require a good starter mix..

Hi..First I am posting some photos of my Seed propagator...It was a Parasene 40 cell auto watering propagator but the bottom got too close to some ceramic heat bulbs and withered so I replaced it with a plastic one and no heat bulbs but it is sitting on a Pet heating mat..the soil is watered from a reservoir by a capilary mat.....overhead I have a 6 + 1 light fitting with adjustable arms in an overhead "hood".....There is a similar unit with set arms so if you want the arms to be adjustable for each bulb make sure you buy the right one ...I never so have got 3 non adjustable ones..One has to be careful handling these?

The propagator home is made from bits and pieces...from a small fridge /freezer shell with a "cut" stainless drum from a clothes dryer as an adjustable hood reflector ...and inside I have a shelf that the heating mat sits on then the propagator and the lights above ..I have 6 CFL lights and am undecided about putting a 7th in the middle..

So I bought a bag of seed raising mix here in New Zealand ..but wonder if i need to mix this with some Perlite etc...any suggestions would be gratefully received..Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2599.jpg (198.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2600.jpg (181.3 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2601.jpg (184.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2602.jpg (238.8 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2603.jpg (226.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2604.jpg (288.0 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; September 8, 2016 at 02:06 AM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2016   #2
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi Just could not get my final photo in...So here it is all lit up...Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2605.jpg (193.9 KB, 114 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2016   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

man, I ain't never seen nothing like that, space age. Is it winter in NZ?

to answer your Q on seed mix add, I vote NO. seed mix is soil-less and does just fine, I never add anything to seed starting mix and usually get almost 100% germ.

my concern with contraption, it might get too wet up in there. as soon as the seed busts I usually take the lid off my "thingy."

Have fun..
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2016   #4
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Murihikukid : Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?

Hal: Affirmative, Murihikukid. I read you.

Murihikukid: Open the seed bay doors, HAL.

Hal: I'm sorry, Murihikukid. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Murihikukid: What's the problem?

Hal: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Murihikukid: What are you talking about, HAL?

Hal: I know that you, were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Murihikukid: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

Hal: Murihikukid, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, more seriously.

I just use the same thing I pot up with PromMixHP.

or.... You could user something like 70% peat, 15% percilite, 15% vermiculite.

or..... Some people use straight diatomaceous earth. (Floor Dry Absorbent)

Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2016   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Murihikukid : Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?

Hal: Affirmative, Murihikukid. I read you.

Murihikukid: Open the seed bay doors, HAL.

Hal: I'm sorry, Murihikukid. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Murihikukid: What's the problem?

Hal: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Murihikukid: What are you talking about, HAL?

Hal: I know that you, were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Murihikukid: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

Hal: Murihikukid, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, more seriously.

I just use the same thing I pot up with PromMixHP.

or.... You could user something like 70% peat, 15% percilite, 15% vermiculite.

or..... Some people use straight diatomaceous earth. (Floor Dry Absorbent)

Oh My, that sure is quite the contraption! I just put mine in the oven with the interior light on or place them on top of a florescent tube light for a dose of heat. It takes a lot less room.
Old September 12, 2016   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default From one" tinkerer" to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Hi..First I am posting some photos of my Seed propagator...It was a Parasene 40 cell auto watering propagator but the bottom got too close to some ceramic heat bulbs and withered so I replaced it with a plastic one and no heat bulbs but it is sitting on a Pet heating mat..the soil is watered from a reservoir by a capilary mat.....overhead I have a 6 + 1 light fitting with adjustable arms in an overhead "hood".....There is a similar unit with set arms so if you want the arms to be adjustable for each bulb make sure you buy the right one ...I never so have got 3 non adjustable ones..One has to be careful handling these?

The propagator home is made from bits and pieces...from a small fridge /freezer shell with a "cut" stainless drum from a clothes dryer as an adjustable hood reflector ...and inside I have a shelf that the heating mat sits on then the propagator and the lights above ..I have 6 CFL lights and am undecided about putting a 7th in the middle..

So I bought a bag of seed raising mix here in New Zealand ..but wonder if i need to mix this with some Perlite etc...any suggestions would be gratefully received..Cheers Ron

It is so neat to see some downright good,resourceful uses for the items you would probably find in any garage.The inventiveness of people regardless of the reason is to be admired.Along with Worth down there in Texas and another smattering of TVille members all around I commend all you guys and gals.I kinda belong to this movement or thought that I stumbled across some years ago,see below.

In that propagator I would clean it up of the organic materials(possible pathogen growths)and use all soiless mediums.Great job and effort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maker_culture